Brake caliper hitting top of rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfeakbk1

Reaction score
Have a 97 Chevy Tahoe. Have replaced every component of the brake system including all the lines as well. My passenger caliper keeps tilting forward when braking coming into contact with the rotor. Have already tried new rotors and calipers and continues to happen. Have used reman and brand new calipers and it is the same. Even had a local shop check it over and they cant find anything wrong. Any Ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
97 Chevy Tahoe

Have replaced every component of the brake system including all the lines as well. My passenger caliper keeps tilting forward when braking coming into contact with the rotor.
Faulty mounting pins for the caliper? Worn-out female threads in the knuckle?

Steering knuckle worn out or bent? Excess clearance between caliper and knuckle?

What if it's not the caliper moving towards the rotor, but the rotor moving towards the caliper--failed wheel bearings?

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, it's amazing that a "shop" could not immediately inspect for what @Schurkey said. Mounting pins was my first thought. As problem was being described, I was waiting for that to be brought up. Female threads problem should show immediately, if that is the cause.

Are you saying caliper tilts forward when braking? How is it you see that. 4x4 off the ground and rotor spinning and apply brakes and can see?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, this thread is so much like this other thread-in-progress:

Are there some bad calipers out in the wild?

What's going-on here?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I got mine sorted out. There was not enough grease on slide pins. The caliper was able to move just enough to make contact with the rotor.
Having a hard time picturing that. Caliper slides side to side on pins. How does grease stop contact that would be an up and down motion?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Have already tried new rotors and calipers and continues to happen. Have used reman and brand new calipers and it is the same.

I got mine sorted out. There was not enough grease on slide pins. The caliper was able to move just enough to make contact with the rotor.

So the same problem existed across multiple calipers, and then now "grease on the slide pins" is claimed to be the root cause?

As @movietvet noted, a problem like this doesn't seem rooted in the slide pins.

This still sounds fishy to me... as though the problem is still elusive and is lying in wait.

:think:

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grease is not the fix. There's something else going on.

I'm reasonably sure you're going to find the actual problem is in the steering knuckle...but I'm not there to see it in person.

Photos of the caliper fitment on the knuckle might be useful.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked the rotor diameter? Are the slides worn to the point there is slope forming, allowing contact.
Moving parts, heavy, harsh operating environment, insufficient maintenance, everything adds up to more wear and tear. Just something to consider.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 97 Chevy Tahoe.

I've a couple relevant questions:

How long have you owned the truck, namely, has it had this rotor interference problem as long as you've owned it, or has it happened sometime after you bought it?

Does your truck have aftermarket spindles installed, e.g,. "drop spindles", etc? Were they on the truck when you bought it, or did you install / have them installed?

The caliper should come in close proximity with the abutments on either end (pictures attached, courtesy of @sethturbo). Do yours look like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: