Big block swap C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97c1500ext

Reaction score
Don't mistake brake pedal feel for actual braking power. A larger piston will give you a firmer pedal, but less hydraulic pressure to the brake system for a given pedal pressure. There have been members reporting going back to the GM400 after having to make an emergency stop with the GMT800 master cylinder and finding they couldn't stand on the pedal hard enough to stop effectively. The GMT800 piston is too large, unless you also swap the front calipers and rear brakes as well.

There is also a mismatch possible. Most (all?) of the GM400 half-ton brake systems are quick-take-up, and you can't mix and match their parts with "normal" brakes. GM ditched the quick-take-up brakes for the GMT800s.

If you want a brake upgrade, the brakes on the 9.5" axle are better. You'll want a 9.5" with the big block anyways. Then make sure they're adjusted well and the brake system is thoroughly bled.
Now that is a helpful response to the MC question, thank you. I am not that much concerned about the braking ability, just saw it and wondered if it was worthwhile.

Do you have more of explanation for why the 8.5 is no good? From what i read, the people that tend to break the 8.5s are off-roading while drag racers have used them plenty in the condition i described above.

97c1500ext

Reaction score
'94-95 TBI 7.4's definitely use a different (higher pressure) pump and injectors than earlier 7.4's. Those are the only 2 years - 94-95. Earlier TBI 7.4's use the same pump as a small block TBI.

However, OP appears to be working on a '97. He hasn't told us, but I'm assuming it based on his member name. For Vortec 5.7 and 7.4, those use the same pump.

Richard
Actually I did say it, it the first sentence of my post

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm okay with a 8.5" rearend - in a half ton truck with a 350 that only occasionally tows. If you're going big-block, you need the extra strength of the 9.5".

97c1500ext

Reaction score
I'm okay with a 8.5" rearend - in a half ton truck with a 350 that only occasionally tows. If you're going big-block, you need the extra strength of the 9.5".
Well i guess i will add it to my future mods list. If the 8.5 doesn't instantly explode i guess ill see how long it lasts. Any advice on my other questions?

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Actually I did say it, it the first sentence of my post
Most of what you've asked has already been answered, if not in this post, but in this forum.

Coming on here and expecting to be spoon-fed information and then arguing when you don't like the answers is pretty lame.

So with that, good luck

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

97c1500ext

Reaction score
Most of what you've asked has already been answered, if not in this post, but in this forum.

Coming on here and expecting to be spoon-fed information and then arguing when you don't like the answers is pretty lame.

So with that, good luck

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
There aren't many threads about going from an SBC to BBC, even then i have questions that i have yet to find answers to. On top of that, those threads do exactly what i am doing here, asking questions.

I also never asked about the rear axle and i will absolutely challenge a flat "Hell No" when no information is given to back that response up while I've seen posts stating the contrary.

Not reading even the first sentence of a post before replying is pretty lame.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
There aren't many threads about going from an SBC to BBC, even then i have questions that i have yet to find answers to. On top of that, those threads do exactly what i am doing here, asking questions.

I also never asked about the rear axle and i will absolutely challenge a flat "Hell No" when no information is given to back that response up while I've seen posts stating the contrary.

Not reading even the first sentence of a post before replying is pretty lame.
At no point did you tell us what 454 you planned on installing, but that's cool. We can guess, right? And I did guess correctly.

The master cylinder issue has been covered many times, here, very concisely - but you missed that, and want it repeated for you.

Again, good luck bro. Should I go back and delete my fuel pump reply (which was the correct answer) since you already know everything?

Richard

97c1500ext

Reaction score
At no point did you tell us what 454 you planned on installing, but that's cool. We can guess, right? And I did guess correctly.

The master cylinder issue has been covered many times, here, very concisely - but you missed that, and want it repeated for you.

Again, good luck bro. Should I go back and delete my fuel pump reply (which was the correct answer) since you already know everything?

Richard
By the wording of your response you were assuming my truck year, not the donor motor. Given i was asking if the current (97) fuel pump would be good enough for every factory iteration of the 454 being discussed, it presumably would not matter which 454 based on your own response. Which btw, L31MaxExpress said first.

I've seen people talk down the master cylinder and ive seen people say this simple upgrade will make you smack your face on the dash. Erik The Awful was the first to justify it being a bad idea with an explanation which i appreciated. Is it that hard to explain things?

I didnt come here to argue, I did research on other sites and came here to make my own thread to get as direct information as possible and to compare what i have seen elsewhere to have a resource I can easily refer to with knowledge i already have gathered.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt come here to argue.

Pretty much seemed to have a chip on your shoulder with the original LS swap comment from the get go. I was all set to answer helpfully until I read that. I dont like small blocks, and replaced them with a big block in about everything I drove for a long time.