Best approach for fixing inop R12 A/C system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Doesn't Amazon have a drop box nearby? I like my sleep too but, that's at night, other than my afternoon nap :rolleyes:
Lots of them actually, but the two nearest are "currently unavailable" (perhaps still offline from storm damage to power/internet access) so that's been inconvenient, plus they won't ship R134a to the locker.

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't he want the red being it's at the condenser? Or is the yellow the same diameter?
Yellow is a condenser mounted 0.062. My 99 Tahoe used the same style and so did my brothers 99 Suburban. On the SUV with rear ac it uses the condenser style even though it is in the liquid line after the lines split. O-tube sits in the side of the line closer to the condenser.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Reaction score
For those interested, I put all the details of the A/C system rebuild in my overall truck build thread - the A/C stuff starts around post #654, on page 66 -> https://www.gmt400.com/threads/talk-me-into-or-out-of-it.60810/page-66

A couple notes about all the stuff I ordered:

The particular Orion gauge set I bought was the wrong kit, sorta. It only came with the piercing can tap for the old style cans. The new R134a self-sealing cans require a blunt tip can tap, so I had to order that separately. Orion does sell a kit that includes both.

The GPD "compressor kit w/condenser" - condenser came with the black orifice tube already installed. So, the one they included with the kit, was redundant. I switched to the yellow orifice at L31's advice so didn't need either one, and they don't cost hardly anything, so it's no big deal.

The kit also came with a bag of seals, none of which I needed.* Every component came with its own o-rings already, so I've got a bunch spare now. (previously thought I needed the compressor sealing washers but when breaking down the boxes I found those too, under the packing.)

The compressor came pre-filled with 7oz of oil, and in my case, system capacity was 8oz, so I only added a small amount from the extra bottle I bought.

The one big disappointment was the GPD suction/discharge line spec'd for the 1-year-newer model of my truck - 1994 C3500 7.4 (my truck is a 1993) - the line right off the manifold interferes with the compressor bracket, and in a big way. It's just not designed correctly. Maybe it fits on a 1994. I had to bend the hard line carefully and still had to leave a support rod out. The compressor is still bolted in fully on that big cast iron bracket, and the 2 support rods toward the middle of the compressor are in place, but the one towards the passenger side, I had to leave pushed out of the way even after bending the line. I'm not 100% comfortable with this and will be looking at other hoses or may possibly have a custom one made using my old hose as a pattern or even a donor.

Richard

Last edited:

someotherguy

Reaction score
GM sells the accumulator blanket for the newer Express vans reasonably as an AC Delco part number, it fits all the older accumulators very well.
Have you got this part #, or could you suggest what year model Express to look up?

Edit - it's looking to me like 15126619 - GMPD says it fits 1999-2024 Express vans, so that must be the one.

Richard