Battery terminal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll never understand the “side posts are an issue”. Old worn parts are an issue anywhere. As if this doesn’t happen:
The side posts on my Suburban were clean and tight, but they repeatedly loosened themselves on the road. Maybe they were worn and needed replacing, but top posts don't have the same requirement for perfection. They're flat reliable. I'll never run side posts again.

The only reason side posts were ever a thing was that GM was wanting to develop a proprietary technology that everyone else would license from them. The only other car company that ever used side posts was Chrysler, in a few car lines in the early 2000s, and we all know that Chrysler is a fountainhead of great decisions.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they were worn and needed replacing,
Cables get worn and do need replacing, top or side post.
but top posts don't have the same requirement for perfection.
Why, they wear out too. Replacing top post cables was going on long before side posts or either of us were around. You had worn side post cables, they su*ked, they would get loose. You replaced them with new top post and concluded they were better, which they were, cause they were new and stayed tight.
My new side post cables don’t come loose. Both bolt designs are in a horizontal position and get tightened. No difference.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Through the years, before I switched to top post, I found the side post terminals tend to come loose if the cable is on the left side of it. Then they'll help to loosen the bolt. Keep them ~3 O'clock and they'll somewhat help keep it tight. Then go get a top post battery ;)

Vic327

Reaction score
You can put a top post on with a rock on the side of the road. If it's loose jam something it and try again. A stripped out side post offers few options. I still have the side posts on my truck but if I have to change them you know what I'll be using. Also there are a lot of top post batteries you could put in there if your battery is bad.