Battery + alternator, big 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obstuba916

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking to do my big 3 upgrade but I have a couple of questions. Should I use 1/0 or 2/0 wire?
I've seen some where the 1/0 for example splits to 4/0. And I just don't understand.

in the future I plan on getting a dash cam and security system. I already have a small subwoofer and head unit so my main confusion is do I need a higher output alternator when I get a new battery now?

I won't have these other accessories for a little while so I won't need the extra amps yet. I also am going to need a battery soon. I want to get an Odessy 34/78 dual purpose as my next battery. Will I need the higher output alternator for that battery or something like it? Is there a better battery and how many amps should my alternator be? i see that stock is 100-105 and higher amps 145. I'm your best advice please

Last edited:

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dash cam and alarm security system are pretty insignificant draws to electrical. you also wont need a bigger alt with a factory size battery. id suggest a bigger alt if you're really dropping into the low 13s or high 12v with a bunch of stuff on at the same time like AC, stereo cranked, headlights, etc. factory voltage dash gauge isn't the most accurate especially with how old these trucks are

1/0 welding cable is more than sufficient for a 105a alt, even a 145a unit. some folks have money to burn and get overkill wiring but nothing really wrong with that. big 3 is always good to do regardless of how big your alt is or accessories you have

odyssey is a good brand as well, definitely higher end

Last edited: