Noise from bell housing transmission edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was really hoping to avoid having to get into talking about the transmission but, I'm at the point where I guess it has a role in my search for the tapping sound coming from my bell housing area that I started another thread about.
Here's where the other thread went today with transmission being removed.

I know Nick that you mentioned mentioned to poke around the rotor to see if the pump may be shot but I really don't know where to poke and I actually don't have a long pick or anything yet... Maybe a coat hanger?

Anyway, along with the other thread's progress, here is a video of the front of the pump. Tomorrow I'll pull the pan but I expect, or at least hope it's going to be uneventful.
Would love for any advice on what I can look for while it's out without getting into too much. I really don't want to get into dismantling the valve body but can look around. If pulling the pump would be useful for inspection, I'd be ok attempting that with some guidance. I really need my truck back asap but can handle it being down as I have no other option but to try to handle this myself atm and have a backup vehicle until I don't...

Still not convinced my flexplate is not the primary suspect of my noise but I'm not finding any solid evidence that it is yet.
Thanks!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping to avoid having to get into talking about the transmission but, I'm at the point where I guess it has a role in my search for the tapping sound coming from my bell housing area that I started another thread about.
Remove the flexplate and inspect it.

From what i see in your video, the rotor appears to be intact.

Did you spin the converter in place when it was still installed onto the pump?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the flexplate and inspect it.
I did and can't find anything.
I mentioned this in the other thread though. It's really the only thing I can see that's odd
I am getting suspicious of the flexplate where it bolts to the crank..... The flanged/washer part of the bolts seems to have created an egg shaped surface on the flexplate but it's hard to tell.
And those bolts were tight... Had to use breaker to get them loose.....not sure how any movement could happen if they were torqued down correctly....
Did you spin the converter in place when it was still installed onto the pump?
Yes. Smooth .....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parts arriving today and one of them is the seal ( #124)right before where the transmission adapter (#125) mounts to the transfer case. Looking inside there are a couple of holes and one looks weird. Was hoping I could get some information on what I'm looking at. Haven't found a view to reference yet.

Attachments

• IMG20230606062750_01.jpg
    IMG20230606062750_01.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20240703103159 resized.jpg
    IMG20240703103159 resized.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20240703103213 resized.jpg
    IMG20240703103213 resized.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 7

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parts arriving today and one of them is the seal ( #124)right before where the transmission adapter (#125) mounts to the transfer case. Looking inside there are a couple of holes and one looks weird. Was hoping I could get some information on what I'm looking at. Haven't found a view to reference yet.
There's no rear case seal on 4L60Es or 700R4s. You're simply looking at the rear of thr output shaft and rear case bushing. All the seals are on the t-case side. There should be a machine cut rubber seal on the outer diameter of the ext housing-to-case mating radius.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's no rear case seal on 4L60Es or 700R4s.
I'm replacing #124 in the diagram .
There should be a machine cut rubber seal on the outer diameter of the ext housing-to-case mating radius.
Yes. I'm guessing you're referring to #124 in the diagram?

So the small hole near the output shaft is supposed to be there I'm guessing. It does have some kind of strange looking marks around it that look factory. Was just curious. And was curious what it's function was...

Also, this seal was replaced last year and still leaked from here ever since. I am not sure if the mechanic torqued them correctly. But also noticed there's old thread sealant on the bolts that hold the adapter to the transmission. I don't think it was ever reapplied.... really don't want it leaking again....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found this pic online....
Is this some kind of check ball?Spring loaded or something??? Or is it supposed to be stationary. Weird looking thing......I can make out what looks like a ball if I look closely down where the hole is in mine...It's somewhat visible in my pics above as well.... :think:

Attachments

• 20140808_174121_zps2u3zmyxj.jpg
    20140808_174121_zps2u3zmyxj.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG20240703153708_01.jpg
    IMG20240703153708_01.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 4