Back flush oil cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the output side of the radiator cooler go through the oil filter.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Through the filter, then through the cooler.

The oil filter won't trap any debris coming back from the cooler.

The cooler should only have filtered oil--no debris. But if the oil filter bypass valve opens due to a plugging filter, the crap goes into the cooler.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha. And thanks. Just found a shop that flushes and repairs radiators. Of course it's a 2.5 hrs ride. But I have to take the bride to that town Thursday anyhow. Could I trust they would be able to accomplish sufficient cleaning?

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess I'm going to have to get some some side work and bite the bullet. Forget my last question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_194051_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_194051_Chrome.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 4

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though a replacement radiator is maybe best case, especially with an unknown failure like possible bearings, I use that kooler kleaner stuff when I do transmissions. I’ll run one can through one line then another through the other. The fluid being flushed is usually clear about 3/4 of the way through the first can and I might get a little colored residue at the beginning of the second can. Then just blow some air through. Brake cleaner won’t be necessary, the kleaner is a solvent that evaporates, just kinda slow like mineral spirits.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooler construction varies.

SOME coolers can be flushed. SOME coolers cannot be flushed reliably.

Look in the service manual for the proper flushing procedure.
Thus my original advice to check the service manual for flushing instructions.

But that's all moot if you're replacing the radiator.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Louies radiator shop in Weston, Wv., did a great job. 4 back and forth flushes for the oil side. Said the other two had minimal goo. $120.00, which was cheaper than an inexpensive replacement. Being able to reuse the original equipment makes me smile