Aux cooling fan direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97-2door

Reaction score
Hi. I've read through several posts about the auxiliary cooling fan installs. I've got a 1997 Tahoe. Per the manual (screenshot attached) there was an optional cooling fan and it was wired with power on the B terminal of the plug and A went to ground. I've got the factory transmission cooler where the fan would typically go, so I installed the fan on the driver side. That doesn't really matter for the current issue though. I'm also using a relay to control the actual operation of the fan.

I bought the GM connector for the fan and wired power to B and ground to A as that was how I interpreted the manual. That results in power to the black wire of the fan and ground to the blue wire. I've attached a few pictures. In one, you can send the A and B labeling on the connector. My concern is that this results in the fan spinning counter clockwise and pull air through the condensor instead of pushing air. I think it should be pushing air since that would be in line with the engine fan and airflow in general when going down the road.

A couple of the articles I've read say power should be on the blue wire (which would be "pushing" mode), but that seems to go against the manual. I also saw this article where the guys has the fan wired with power to the black wire, the same way I currently do. This article also shows the P/N for the matching connector.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/aux-cooling-fan-install.56464/

Should I ignore the service manual and flip power to the blue wire so the fan pushes air through the condensor?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 16.01.44.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 16.01.44.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 4

97-2door

Reaction score
I think I've answered my own question. I flipped the connector around (doesn't clip but still works) and tried it out. It is now pushing air through the condensor and spinning the direction that seems to better match the blade angle. It's moving a lot more air also. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I'll leave this here in case it may help someone else. Power goes to the blue fan wire and ground to the black wire. Still don't really understand why it doesn't match the service manual.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I've answered my own question. I flipped the connector around (doesn't clip but still works) and tried it out. It is now pushing air through the condensor and spinning the direction that seems to better match the blade angle. It's moving a lot more air also. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I'll leave this here in case it may help someone else. Power goes to the blue fan wire and ground to the black wire. Still don't really understand why it doesn't match the service manual.
connector pin'ed the wrong way

Looks to be a weather pack, just depin it by removing the retainer on the back of the plug, and then you need a small tool t opush the pins out, then swap cavity