Anyone have experience with these heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Junkyard Vortecs are a real crapshoot. Take a wire brush, a pick, and a magnifying glass with you and inspect carefully for cracks. Specifically, check between the valve seats and spark plug holes. Then disassemble them and take them to a machine shop for magnafluxing. Expect to find half of them cracked. Still, they're good heads. Be sure and buy new valvesprings.

There are a lot of guys trying out Chinesium heads. By all accounts, they need some cleanup before assembly, and you'll need to check the straightness. I'd buy a set of bare heads and fill them with quality parts. The last thing you want is a cheapskate valve or valvespring snapping and trashing your motor.

If I had the spare cash laying around, I'd get some AFR Enforcer heads. They're about $1250 for a set and you don't have to worry about finding a good combination of parts to fill them. They'll take all the lift you'll want in a truck motor.

The cam you have selected is very mild, but worse, it's flat tappet. Don't even bother with a flat tappet cam. Get all the roller bits out of a junkyard Vortec. Clean the lifters thoroughly and make sure the rollers roll smoothly and aren't damaged. If you get the Vortec roller cam out of the same junkyard engine, you can put a set of 1.6 rocker arms on it and get close to the same specs as that Summit cam. Or (most recommended) call your favorite cam company and ask them to spec a cam for you. You can run up to .480" lift on untouched Vortec heads, and you can get up to .530" if you run beehive valvesprings and umbrella seals.

Note that you'll have to do some block mods to install the roller cam bits in your (likely) non-roller block, but if you're capable of rebuilding the engine yourself, you're capable of the mods.

What's the purpose for the truck? It sounds like you just want more fun under the go pedal.