AC overhaul - Compressor upgrade? Condensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually I may have just stumbled across a suitable condenser to convert. GM is using them on the newer Tahoe as well. It is like 34" x 18.75" and appears to be a 11mm microtube parallel flow subcooling unit. This was listed for a 2022 with a 6.2L. The fittings on this condenser are both on the same side and in a similar location to the GMT400 fittings. Looks like it coupd be an easy conversion if there is enough space for it to physically fit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the late model Tahoe condenser might even be easier to fit than even I thought. I cannot find the fitting sizes on the condenser, but I found adapter fittings to go from the oring flange to SAE a/c fittings. The hoses are typically #8 discharge and #6 liquid on a R12 system. R134a system complicates things as both fittings are M20 x 1.5 at the condenser. If I had known this stuff existed, I could have built the 87 G20 system with it. It is done and works well though. Maybe on a future project for me. Those are for #6, #8 and #10 SAE fittings.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just struck gold looking at conversion fittings. I did not realize there were that many off the shelf specialty conversion fittings. This stuff would be real handy for engine swaps from a donor vehicle. For a R134a vehicle you could always fabricate a pair of flared conversion lines with a SAE female thread and Metric male thread on the ends to mate up to the stock ac lines.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is good news because so for I am striking out! 2 of the three Osc condensers arrived today and both are serpentine (as described in text, but not as stock photo image indicated), and both are smaller than advertised...same size as current Denso.

Current Denson on right. Osc 4544 on left. Same size in all dimensions.

Attachments

• 20240710_105208.jpg
    20240710_105208.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually I may have just stumbled across a suitable condenser to convert. GM is using them on the newer Tahoe as well. It is like 34" x 18.75" and appears to be a 11mm microtube parallel flow subcooling unit. This was listed for a 2022 with a 6.2L. The fittings on this condenser are both on the same side and in a similar location to the GMT400 fittings. Looks like it coupd be an easy conversion if there is enough space for it to physically fit.

I was looking at a Silverado 2021(?) Subcooler Condenser on Amazon today. Came to same conclusion that modifying lines/fittings on subcooler condensor would be much easier than adding subcooler chamber to condensor. But the fittings were on opposite sides of condensor. As you stated, this might be a home run!

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drove the 87 today with the pusher fan working and more refrigerant in the system. Center vent temps got down to 28F driving around before the compressor would cycle in 100F and 40% relative humidity. It was still around 44F at idle, but I think that is more a limitation of the Sanden 4261 on it. The Sandens 155cc is pretty weak at idle compared to the 210cc 10 cylinder Four Seasons 88947 on my 97. The 4261 is just not moving enough refrigerant. I can bring the idle up to even 1,200 rpm and it will drop to 38F. The fan is not moving much more airflow, but the low side pressure drops nearly 10 psi with the added RPM.

The condenser in that 87 is a $67 amazon special parallel flow that replaces Peterbilt 3S010633. It was easy to mount and retrofit in my R12 application with the the SAE fittings. The vans factory liquid line literally threaded into place and I was having to build hoses for the vortec compressor location and manifold connections anyway. I am limited in performance driving down the road by the airflow through the evaporator core at the moment. If I could get more airflow through the blower it would cool more. The fittings on the Peterbilt condenser are both on the same side and I am sure that it would not be hard to fabricate some lines to thread into the condenser, thread into the OE lines and hold the orifice tube on a truck needing it in the condenser outlet.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how the 4261 Sanden and jungle website condenser are operating. Was 101F and 40% relative humidity when tested. Engine and engine compartment heat soaked, interior cooled down. A/C blower on high fan speed, recirculate selected, condenser fan running because it is tied into the high blower relay and I finally T'd the heater coolant shut off valve into the recirculate door vacuum hose to shut off the coolant to the heater core with recirculate selected. I had the engine cover off earlier today so I had decent access to the vacuum hoses for the HVAC system and finally connected that shut off valve.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will only use the Dorman and refuse to use the nylon ball garbage. I had an OE replacement fail immediately numerous years ago on the Tahoe. After the high side was opened by the manifold set while vacuuming the system it failed to re-seat.

Since we are on the service fitting topic, on R134a retrofit fittings I use the steel fittings designed to thread on the R12 fittings with the shrader cores removed and also use a little blue loctite on the threads to promote sealing.
I have been having a TIME finding 134a retrofit fittings that will actually screw on. It seems like the r12 ports are smaller than the retro sets i have been trying. If you have a p/n or vendor you have had success with it would be very helpful.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been having a TIME finding 134a retrofit fittings that will actually screw on. It seems like the r12 ports are smaller than the retro sets i have been trying. If you have a p/n or vendor you have had success with it would be very helpful.
I am assuming you have a 3/16" high side port. I had the same issue years ago on a GM vehicle. Both of my G-vans have had a 3/16" high side port and a 1/4" low side port. Just a quick google search but Original Air still sells the fittings for them. All else fails you could order them, but they are not the cheapest. I would go to your local Oreilly during bankers hours, ask to talk with the commercial manager or the store manager, ask them to break out the Four Seasons book and find the equivalents for less money. When I managed a store I often had to break out the actual paper catalog that was a bit dated to find R12 era parts. There is a lot in that catalog that is not found easily found in their computerized catalog.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is in fact the high side fitting you are having issues with, I found the Four Seasons part number for the smaller 3/16" fitting which is also the Oreilly Murray number. I failed to notice in the previous link those fittings are 12 weeks out if ordered today. My local hub store, luckily 1 mile away from the shop space I lease has them in stock thus I know they are in the Oreilly distribution chain.