AC Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpevans

Reaction score
Has your system been retrofit for R134 ? They use different service side, but are sae base thread, if applicable for older systems. You may have to look in the retrofit package parts.
I didn't think about this. The previous owner did convert to R134 but never mentioned changing the lines, although that would make sense. I'll look into it, thanks for the idea.

dpevans

Reaction score
apparently, your truck has been converted from R12 to R134a as the fitting you show in the picture is for R134 a
Is it leaking from the thread where it screws in or is it the Schrader valve leaking inside the fitting?
It's leaking from the Schrader inside the fitting.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it an actual shrader fill valve or is it like a black check ball?
The shrader you can change like tire valve, but use a an AC shrader. The black or silver ball you change the whole fitting.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's leaking from the Schrader inside the fitting.
If that’s the case, you can take the Schrader valve out, clean it with brake clean, dry it and then put some 134 a oil on it and reinstall it to see if it stops leaking, or just replace it with a new Schrader valve.

dpevans

Reaction score
If that’s the case, you can take the Schrader valve out, clean it with brake clean, dry it and then put some 134 a oil on it and reinstall it to see if it stops leaking, or just replace it with a new Schrader valve.
That was my first thought, but the shrader was flat on top and didn't have the tab that they normally do to unscrew it.

I never found a fitting so I ended up just replacing the whole line and the AC is working now.