97 GMC 454 . Ignition help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wally2320

Reaction score
I lost my key to my dually and thought I could break out the ingniton and start it with a screw driver and now I know that's not going to work. Can I just buy a new cylinder with a new key and use it or what exactly am I going to have to do? Can someone please guide me in the right direction

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lost my key to my dually and thought I could break out the ingniton and start it with a screw driver and now I know that's not going to work. Can I just buy a new cylinder with a new key and use it or what exactly am I going to have to do? Can someone please guide me in the right direction
so you very much damaged your cylinder in this process? whats your column look like. no offense that was incredibly moronic
every GM dealer can cut you a key to the VIN for that truck with a simple proof of ownership in order to make sure its not attempting to steal someones car

Then you would have had a nice new key to get blanks cut to match at any key cutter.

If you can still insert the key, if you had it, and its not damaged much you could still do this. pic?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
so you very much damaged your cylinder in this process? whats your column look like. no offense that was incredibly moronic

Yeah, definitely not the way to go.

every GM dealer can cut you a key to the VIN for that truck with a simple proof of ownership in order to make sure its not attempting to steal someones car

If, it hasn't been re-keyed for some reason. My local dealer stressed this, when I had it done for my Saturn. They also were nice, and didn't charge me labor for cutting the keys. Technically, they could have charged me labor, but only charged me for the key blanks. They were $8 each, which is pricey compared to getting a key copied at the hardware store, but this isn't something that a hardware store can do, so I counted it a bargain, considering I had a fresh factory keys.

Then you would have had a nice new key to get blanks cut to match at any key cutter.

This! I think I did use a factory key for my truck, for a short time, but eventually, I stopped. I keep it for making copies.

Wally2320

Reaction score

If you can still insert the key, if you had it, and its not damaged much you could still do this. pic?
Thank you so I can go to a dealer and get the whole key and cylinder?