Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys in reinstalling my torsion bars but im not sure which postition to have the key at so i dont tighen then too much. Right now i have them facing straight down as pictured. T

Attachments

• 1000000888.jpg
    1000000888.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 10

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys in reinstalling my torsion bars but im not sure which postition to have the key at so i dont tighen then too much. Right now i have them facing straight down as pictured. T
You will want to start with them facing like this and then torque down your torsion bar key tensioning tool to pressure they key up enough to get the adjustment bolt and retainer into the crossmember. It looks like you are two notches two tight right now.

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    738.7 KB · Views: 8

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok
You will want to start with them facing like this and then torque down your torsion bar key tensioning tool to pressure they key up enough to get the adjustment bolt and retainer into the crossmember. It looks like you are two notches two tight right now.
Ok so i should push it about 2 notches to the right aligned with the yellow mark you made and they should be good? Also i need to havr the control arms jacked up to ride height while doing so correct?

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also should i have all the knuckles and joints all tied yp before i tie up the torsion keys because currently only have the lower cintrol arms in and hanging, so im guessing i need to install everything else first so the suspension us where it needs to be and put in the keys last?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also should i have all the knuckles and joints all tied yp before i tie up the torsion keys because currently only have the lower cintrol arms in and hanging, so im guessing i need to install everything else first so the suspension us where it needs to be and put in the keys last?
Yes I would do the keys last I guess although you will want to Jack up the lower control arms a tiny bit enough to get the shocks bolted in. Once the shocks are bolted in you should be in the range of suspension travel so you can bolt up the balljoints and steering. I would get everything loosely bolted up and then do the t bar keys. Then go back and start torquing everything to spec.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I would do the keys last I guess although you will want to Jack up the lower control arms a tiny bit enough to get the shocks bolted in. Once the shocks are bolted in you should be in the range of suspension travel so you can bolt up the balljoints and steering. I would get everything loosely bolted up and then do the t bar keys. Then go back and start torquing everything to spec.
Should i also jack up the lower control arm (after strut and knuckle etc are on) just enough to compress the strut to where the truck would sit on the ground or is it ok to where it hangs a bit as the truck is jacked up

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s ok to connect it all at full droop. The rule of thumb for things like the upper and lower control arm bolts is to have them installed snug and then only torqued down once the weight of the vehicle is on it. Fir balljoints and tierods I don’t think it needs to be under the vehicle weight as least I never have. I torque tierod and balljoints without the vehicle weight. I’m not a pro but I’ve never had an issue with this method.

When fine tuning the torsion keys my approach is to set the adjust bolts equally, bolt up all the other components and once the vehicle is set on the ground measure the fender heights on both sides of the front to see if one side is slightly up or down. Jack it up and adjust as needed. Never try to tighten the adjustment bolts while the vehicle is under weight and avoid power tools. One full 360 degree turn of the bolt could give you 1/4 or more height adjustment. Once you are happy with both the height and it’s even on both sides then have an alignment done. It’s good to drive it around the block and re check to see if things settle. Ensure you are on level ground when doing this btw. Also avoid having the keys cranked up too tight it will cause excess CV joint wear, balljoints, tierods, and ruin ride quality.

Last edited:

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s ok to connect it all at full droop. The rule of thumb for things like the upper and lower control arm bolts is to have them installed snug and then only torqued down once the weight of the vehicle is on it. Fir balljoints and tierods I don’t think it needs to be under the vehicle weight as least I never have. I torque tierod and balljoints without the vehicle weight. I’m not a pro but I’ve never had an issue with this method.

When fine tuning the torsion keys my approach is to set the adjust bolts equally, bolt up all the other components and once the vehicle is set on the ground measure the fender heights on both sides of the front to see if one side is slightly up or down. Jack it up and adjust as needed. Never try to tighten the adjustment bolts while the vehicle is under weight and avoid power tools. One full 360 degree turn of the bolt could give you 1/4 or more height adjustment. Once you are happy with both the height and it’s even on both sides then have an alignment done. It’s good to drive it around the block and re check to see if things settle. Ensure you are on level ground when doing this btw. Also avoid having the keys cranked up too tight it will cause excess CV joint wear, balljoints, tierods, and ruin ride quality.
Thank you for the helpful information