7747-7427 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to do that, FWIU the ECM doesn't use the SA tables until it gets feedback of 400+ RPM but, I may be wrong. It starts a zero SA unless you change the "SA-Initial SA" (in SCALARS) and set your Initial Timing with the EST Bypass wire disconnected. This way, you wont be throwing of your entire SA Tables by having the distributor at something other than zero. As an example, mine actually likes 10° on Initial Timing.
That's were I set the initial timing on the 355 too. After I figured out what the engine liked I did set the base timing back to 0. Initial SA in the scalars is 0 but the way I read it is you match that setting with what you have set the dist. to. In all of the unmodified .bins I've looked at 400 RPM and 100 MAP is a negative number and I figured it was like kick starting a panhead,you never want spark advance or you wind up with a sore leg. Once the engine is running it will never see those conditions. I can set 400 and 0 to 16 and see if it kicks back against the starter,just the push of a button.
Good to hear :waytogo:

I don't care for DFCO - it acts too much like a "Jake Brake". Unless you plan on pulling a trailer in the hills :burnout:
Yeah,I think I'll leave that turned off. I thought I might like the added engine braking but deceleration is much smoother without it.
Try it, you'll like it :biggrin: Take a table and play with it. Change a row or column, highlight the whole table or part of it, and "Interpolate X, Y, or XY" If it comes out weird, don't save the table and try again - fun stuff!
Can't get it to work,any tips?
Yep, you're on your way to catching the disease. ;)
Doctor-doctor, give me the news. I've got a, bad case of tuning blues.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initial SA in the scalars is 0 but the way I read it is you match that setting with what you have set the dist.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say :33:
Can't get it to work,any tips?
OK, let's say you wanna reduce your fueling by 10% at WOT, multiply your 100 MAP column by 0.09. Then interpolate Y (or X I can't remember) the entire table. Look at your 3D chart before and after, see what happens.

Disclaimer: I'm still new at this stuff too!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say :33:

OK, let's say you wanna reduce your fueling by 10% at WOT, multiply your 100 MAP column by 0.09. Then interpolate Y (or X I can't remember) the entire table. Look at your 3D chart before and after, see what happens.

Disclaimer: I'm still new at this stuff too!
I figured it out. Makes for a nice smooth table huh. I highlighted the entire table and used XY. Have to see how well the motor likes it. I don't think you could run a fuel table with it being that flat but it would make a good place to start.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you could run a fuel table with it being that flat but it would make a good place to start.
Here's what I just did the other day with mine to get my AFR closer to 12.5 and DC down below 100% :33:

I'll be trying it out next week since my wife is going out on her "staycation" with a bunch of friends in Scottsdale somewhere to play cards. :rolleyes:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,I'm going to flatten out my VE table then datalog and run it through that spreadsheet. Rinse and repeat!!! Today's datalog showed I was lean in the 2000 an 60 MAP with PE on so I think the late timing skewed the data on the previous log. Once I get it running where it's supposed to I want to try to implement lean cruise. I'm guessing that has to be run in open loop?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about a routine but it does have a setting for max lean AFR. The factory set it at 16.5. Right now I'm working on spark timing and normal AFR. I Interpolated the fuel table last night and it leaned it way out. BLM's went from 117 to 150 in mid MAP and rev range and the rest was in the 130's pretty much across the board. Not sure how many more 2nd gear 5500 RPM pulls this 'ol 305 can take. Rod knock hasn't gotten any louder but I know it's gonna blow. Bet that antiseize got pulled up of the bottom of the pan. Got my phone, tow strap and 7/16"end wrench just it case.