7747-7427 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went and got a KS today and am going to install it in the morning. Maybe if I'm lucky the drain hole will be clogged with scale, not a fan of green showers.

In a different KS thread Schurkey shared a tip where you remove the radiator cap,
cover the opening with saran wrap, and then replace the radiator cap. This
way when the knock sensor is removed the cooling system ends up in a no-free-flow
(vacuum creation) state, reducing the net flow substantially. The forum member
tried this and reported back that this simple trick worked well.

I haven't had the opportunity yet to try this for myself, so I'm hoping that I can
live vicariously through your trying this trick & reporting how much this helps to
keep the antifreeze off your coiffure. :0)

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a different KS thread Schurkey shared a tip where you remove the radiator cap,
cover the opening with saran wrap, and then replace the radiator cap. This
way when the knock sensor is removed the cooling system ends up in a no-free-flow
(vacuum creation) state, reducing the net flow substantially. The forum member
tried this and reported back that this simple trick worked well.

I haven't had the opportunity yet to try this for myself, so I'm hoping that I can
live vicariously through your trying this trick & reporting how much this helps to
keep the antifreeze off your coiffure. :0)
I've got a piece of rubber inner tube that I cut a round wafer out of to put under the cap valve. No air in, no liquid out. The theory is sound, I'll have to see how it works. Once I get it broke loose I'll take the old one out with one hand and have the other one in the other hand ready to plug the hole. Usually I like to clean the threads in plug holes with a plumbers fitting brush. Not going to get to do that this time.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man! I'll see if I can get away with that much timing.

That's where I set the all in advance on mechanical dists. too.
The 355 doesn't like anything above 36 at 2500.
Even my 383 liked ~47° at 3,600 rpm with no load when I had the HEI on it. 16° of that was vacuum advance.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has slight pings when just lightly increasing the throttle in the cruise zone when above 36. I do have rather small jets(.067's) and with small tip needles in the primary's with a light spring under PE piston for better MPG and decent PE when I stab it. My dist. has 18deg vacuum advance. 441 heads.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I run as a starting point for a Vortec head engine. It is probably 4° too much for a swirl port head above 80 kpa. Neither TBI or Vortec heads like much of an actual curve in my experience. A vast majority of the WOT timing will be in in the curve by 2,400 rpm. If you are cruising ~2,000-2,400 rpm and under ~60 KPA will likely want high 30s and low 40s for timing advance. At TDC or 0° on the distributor initial advance you are limited to 42° advance.

You must be registered for see images attach
Hey man,
Do you add 2deg to the idle table vs the open throttle table?
I've just been copying the open table over to the idle table.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man,
Do you add 2deg to the idle table vs the open throttle table?
I've just been copying the open table over to the idle table.
Typically on a TBI head engine with a smaller cam I run about 22-24* in the idle area of the idle table and 30* off-idle in the main table.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate a working KS! Been chasing knock at 1000-1600 in the 60-80 MAP range. Pulled timing out three times and still the same affect with no reduction in knock. I'm beginning to think it's picking up the rod knock in that old boat anchor. Think I'm just going to turn it back off for now and go back to the ear sensor.
This can't be so much timing as to cause knock,
You must be registered for see images attach

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I discovered something today. These trucks will run without a prom installed. I pulled the prom and burned a new timing table into it then grabbed the laptop and went out to the truck and plugged it in. Fired it up and the idle went to about 1200 and it was running like ******. I had forgot to grab the prom out of the burner. Passed the MEMCAL test!

d-o-o-k-i-e is sensored too? C'mon GMT nanny!