4l60e 2wd to 4x4 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socosoja

Reaction score
I'm working on a 2004 GMC Sierra k1500 5.3 with a 4l60e. I tore down the transmission and found the sprag was fubar'd, 3rd clutch piston torn molded seal, sun shell splines almost completely stripped, the low roller clutch was hammering away at the case lugs and was jammed stuck with the clunk spring, and case bushing was sitting above flush, the center support bearing was smashed flattening the needle bearings and stick to the center support. On the valve body plate 2 checkballs were jammed in the plate and the paper separator gaskets are stuck like they were glued to case and VB. Since the case is damaged and needs replaced Im looking for a core but can't find but 2wd units that are priced reasonable. So my question is is swapping a 4L60E from a two-wheel drive to a four-wheel drive as straightforward as it is for a 700r4? Or do you have to change any of the harness because of the VSS being on the tail shaft versus the VSS being on the transfer case? From what I understand transmission models from 2001 to 2005 should be compatible for swap. I don't know much about swapping cases or parts for 4L60E for this is my first rebuild of this model but have done several 700r4s and am very familiar with its predecessor. I have a empty case from a 2009 model and 2007 that I've been trying to investigate being able to use but don't want to put everything together just to find out without researching it first. If I was to use the valve body and harness from the 2004 in a 2009 would that work? Or is the hydraulic fluid circuits different in any way that won't be compatible with the valve body? By the way the transfer case is a 246 which is also being rebuilt

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 2004 GMC Sierra k1500 5.3 with a 4l60e. I tore down the transmission and found the sprag was fubar'd, 3rd clutch piston torn molded seal, sun shell splines almost completely stripped, the low roller clutch was hammering away at the case lugs and was jammed stuck with the clunk spring, and case bushing was sitting above flush, the center support bearing was smashed flattening the needle bearings and stick to the center support. On the valve body plate 2 checkballs were jammed in the plate and the paper separator gaskets are stuck like they were glued to case and VB. Since the case is damaged and needs replaced Im looking for a core but can't find but 2wd units that are priced reasonable. So my question is is swapping a 4L60E from a two-wheel drive to a four-wheel drive as straightforward as it is for a 700r4? Or do you have to change any of the harness because of the VSS being on the tail shaft versus the VSS being on the transfer case? From what I understand transmission models from 2001 to 2005 should be compatible for swap. I don't know much about swapping cases or parts for 4L60E for this is my first rebuild of this model but have done several 700r4s and am very familiar with its predecessor. I have a empty case from a 2009 model and 2007 that I've been trying to investigate being able to use but don't want to put everything together just to find out without researching it first. If I was to use the valve body and harness from the 2004 in a 2009 would that work? Or is the hydraulic fluid circuits different in any way that won't be compatible with the valve body? By the way the transfer case is a 246 which is also being rebuilt
It's very straightforward...Swap in the 4WD output shaft in place of the 2WD, use the 4WD ext housing in place of the 2WD ext housing - that's it!

VSS is in the T-case as you've noted so no need to worry about it (unless you want to proactively replace it - if so, use an AC Delco VSS, not aftermarket). Any 2001-2008 unit will work though your 2004 won't be looking for the TSS since that didn't begin to be installed in the full size trucks/SUVs until 2006.

Sounds like a disaster, lol.

socosoja

Reaction score
It's very straightforward...Swap in the 4WD output shaft in place of the 2WD, use the 4WD ext housing in place of the 2WD ext housing - that's it!

VSS is in the T-case as you've noted so no need to worry about it (unless you want to proactively replace it - if so, use an AC Delco VSS, not aftermarket). Any 2001-2008 unit will work though your 2004 won't be looking for the TSS since that didn't begin to be installed in the full size trucks/SUVs until 2006.

Sounds like a disaster, lol.
Thank you for your quick response! I have an empty case (9TAD) would I be able to build that case using the valve body and harness from the (4KCD)? Or did the cases change?

socosoja

Reaction score
Note that this is more of a "get back on the road build" and it's my first 4l60e so keeping the expenses to a minimum on this one for a trial run, the real build is next to come and will be thorough with all parts replaced and to specs.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that this is more of a "get back on the road build" and it's my first 4l60e so keeping the expenses to a minimum on this one for a trial run, the real build is next to come and will be thorough with all parts replaced and to specs.
Thank you for your quick response! I have an empty case (9TAD) would I be able to build that case using the valve body and harness from the (4KCD)? Or did the cases change?
YW...The cases also changed...Check out my 4L60E comparison video for the details but you'll need a 2001-2008 unit, preferably a 2001-2005 so you can at least install a new boost valve if you want without taking the pump out of the case, which isn't possible if the pump has a turbine shaft speed sensor installed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media