350 TBI Bogging between 800-1000 rpms?? Please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys so this engine runs perfect except for the fact while in drive (idling at 500 rpms) when I feather the gas to get going the truck has a heavy bog (between 800-1000 rpms) Anything above that is smooth as can be. Me and my mechanic were stumped. We replaced every sensor, and the distributor cap. I feel like it does idle a little low (500 rpms) and maybe the timing should be bumped up to around 800 or so?

Today we replaced the distributor cap and on the way home the truck ran flawless (best its ever ran) I get it home and get back in it later and the bog is back? wtf? Is it possible to distributor moved slightly? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay im sorry when you say dizzy your referring to the distributor right?

Only things I can think of are fuel filter, maybe fuel pump (don't think thats its a fuel issue though) or some sort of timing issue with the distributor. We replaced it today with my old one. It was bogging slightly but not noticeable the whole way home driving. It ran PERFECT. Now it starts up again :/

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I suggest doing a timing chain set, mine was well worn t the point of retarding the cam timing at only 130,000 miles on the clock. Its a pain, but well worth the money to keep from bending a valve, or blowing the intake off, and give you a ton of power back. It was like a whole new engine when I did this to mine.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ah im just stuck between doing what I need to get this tiny problem fixed, I could spend a grand easy on possibles. I know its something simple. This is a great engine.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Ok, can you make a video of it doing this? Its the second best to us being there to hear it.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It COULD be a timing chain issue, but I honestly doubt it. It COULD be a lot of things, it's pretty simple to pop the "dizzy" or the distributor out and check the drive gear and the whole center shaft for wear. I wouldn't go to the timing chain just yet b/c that's alot of work just on a hunch. More info would help.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
spark plugs man, at best pull them out see what they look like. thats if you havnt already. could be to rich to lean maybe bad plugs or just dirty old plugs but sure worth pulling them to see what that motor is doing, they tell the truth and its prob the easiest check to do. especially since it wont cost you a dime to do it!

Reaction score
I would pull the distributor and check for a worn gear. That will give you all kinds of hell if it's getting worn out.

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
If you can get ahold of the balancer with both hands and rock back and forth while looking at the dist. rotor not letting it move! If you can rock it more than two inches I'd be getting a chain. That motion from rocking the balancer is the slack in the timing chain. Some is normal to much is not good. How many miles are on this 350?