3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't win. Put the old box back on, bled it according to the FSM, moved fluid, topped off, turned the truck on and it moved a ton of fluid and killed the pump. Horrible whining noise now. So the system probably has a bunch of trash in it I would assume. I'll be pulling the old pump off tomorrow and waiting for the new one to get here.

I'm over this truck. It will either get sold or stored. It has fought me nearly ever step of the way.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's good to tackle some easy stuff to get that feeling of accomplishment.
I tackled driving it really hard today. And it did fine. The groaning is gone, replaced with typical slow speed PS pump whine.

Truck squeaks and rattles on the rear. Driver side shock rubs on the lower shock extension. Need to clearance that a bit. Passenger side shock hardware is a bit loose, need to tighten that up.

The old box is worse than the Borgeson. It’s funny how when I had everything stock it drove pretty good to me. Now that everything else is new but the box, you can definitely feel how loose it is.

Also relocated the VSSB to the top of the computer with a bit of Velcro. It’s on there snug now and will be easy to recalibrate if needed.

I’ll probably never sell it. There’s just a lot of small things to work on and sometimes I can’t see the forest through the trees. It’s drive-able and that’s good. 7-1-24 is when the ‘94 project begins.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight was productive. Making use of this narrow ass garage.

-Cut the excess threads off the U bolts (why didn’t I do this with the bed off)
-Re-torqued said U bolts
-Re-torqued the carrier and transmission spacer
-Greased slip yoke at carrier bearing
-Checked driveline angles, -3.1° at carrier, 3.5° at pinion, drive shaft is -.3°. That’s operating angles of 2.8° at carrier and 3° at the pinion. So that’s good. I haven’t felt any vibration. My exhaust has a pulse at about 2300rpm, it sounds like a vibration but it isn’t.
-Greased the old pitman arm

If anyone has any input on the angles, I would appreciate it. I used my Klein digital angle finder to find the angles and used Spicer’s operating angle calculator to determine the operating angle.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checked driveline angles, -3.1° at carrier, 3.5° at pinion, drive shaft is -.3°. That’s operating angles of 2.8° at carrier and 3° at the pinion. So that’s good.
That looks good to me. I don’t think the actual angles are that big of a deal as much as the difference between them is. A .2° difference is well within acceptable operating range. :waytogo:

I should check mine, might be were my vibration is coming from :oops:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks good to me. I don’t think the actual angles are that big of a deal as much as the difference between them is. A .2° difference is well within acceptable operating range. :waytogo:

I should check mine, might be were my vibration is coming from :oops:
You should! I wish I would have measured the stock angles.

Are the ECSB trucks 1 or 2 piece drive shafts?

I’ve got the original shaft off the ‘92 up in the barn loft. The carbon/fiberglass weave cracked on it. Dad got a cheap one from Vaessen’s for a later model truck so it’s all aluminum. I wish these were aluminum.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should! I wish I would have measured the stock angles.

Are the ECSB trucks 1 or 2 piece drive shafts?

I’ve got the original shaft off the ‘92 up in the barn loft. The carbon/fiberglass weave cracked on it. Dad got a cheap one from Vaessen’s for a later model truck so it’s all aluminum. I wish these were aluminum.
Mines a 2-piece, steel. An aluminum one would be nice.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New box on and bled. No disaster this time. I am letting it sit over night to finish up.
You must be registered for see images attach

The bad news is that engine off or on, it still has the same input shaft play as the old one. Now I don’t think this is my old box, I had some scuffs on the case that I don’t see on this one.

I will drive it and see how it feels. If there’s no change I will just deal with it. Over the winter I’ll have Turn 1 rebuild my stock box. Along with a few other upgrades that I plan on getting done.