3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple more thoughts…

Maybe if the stud is moved it would let you set it flat from the top
You must be registered for see images attach

This should move the stud and the boot away from the arm.

Then, what about these 2 points of contact? Do the stick out like casting flash? Or is it just round forging? Could they be blended in to let the ball joint seat further into the curve?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re also currently at full droop, a little bit of contact between the base of the boot and the arm I wouldn’t worry about. You’ll have a different geometry at ride height.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to sandwich the ball joint between the “cage” and the bottom of the control arm. Studs facing up.

Squishy.

Couple more thoughts…

Maybe if the stud is moved it would let you set it flat from the top

This should move the stud and the boot away from the arm.

Then, what about these 2 points of contact? Do the stick out like casting flash? Or is it just round forging? Could they be blended in to let the ball joint seat further into the curve?
Re: the stud. The problem with placing it at the top is that the entire base of the ball joint is too big for that :(

The nuts used to secure the studs (dropped in from the top) rub on the base of the boot. Here you can see where it’s torn. This one seems to have the most clearance issues.

I did look at the old joint and it was firmly pressed in agains the arm, so it doesn’t surprise me really that this would need to be in a similar position. But with the old one, the holes were still closer to being lined up evenly than the TTX.

Here are some photos of the body, where it rubs on the arm.

I think you’d have to remove a fair amount of the case for it to sit correctly. The other option is modifying the control arm which doesn’t seem right.

Keep the ideas coming, I am truly appreciative of the help! Maybe it’s a bad batch of joints (unlikely) or perhaps no one has ever brought this to there attention.

@Caman96 if they just made TTX arms for these trucks I wouldn’t have an issue:lol:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Squishy.

Re: the stud. The problem with placing it at the top is that the entire base of the ball joint is too big for that :(

The nuts used to secure the studs (dropped in from the top) rub on the base of the boot. Here you can see where it’s torn. This one seems to have the most clearance issues.

I did look at the old joint and it was firmly pressed in agains the arm, so it doesn’t surprise me really that this would need to be in a similar position. But with the old one, the holes were still closer to being lined up evenly than the TTX.

Here are some photos of the body, where it rubs on the arm.

I think you’d have to remove a fair amount of the case for it to sit correctly. The other option is modifying the control arm which doesn’t seem right.

Keep the ideas coming, I am truly appreciative of the help! Maybe it’s a bad batch of joints (unlikely) or perhaps no one has ever brought this to there attention.

@Caman96 if they just made TTX arms for these trucks I wouldn’t have an issue:lol:
This shouldn’t be happening. No reason those ball joints shouldn’t work with any aftermarket OE style a-arm made for that truck.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the ball joints fit in the spindle? if they do, i would grind the upper a arm to fit.
It does not look like you would be grinding enough away to matter and if they are after market arms they might be the entire problem.
See how your arms are wedge shaped where it fits. This pic shows a set not having that wedge shape.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the ball joints fit in the spindle? if they do, i would grind the upper a arm to fit.
It does not look like you would be grinding enough away to matter and if they are after market arms they might be the entire problem.
See how your arms are wedge shaped where it fits. This pic shows a set not having that wedge shape.
I will check the spindle tomorrow. I kind of see what you are talking about as far as arm shape. I’ll take a look tomorrow when I’m back at it.

I wish the truck was at my place - then I could run out and check. Unfortunately I don’t have the space to wrench. I just shoe-horn the truck into the garage and have just enough room to get out.