3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First photo shows the steering wheel position while the front wheels are straight. Second photo shows the pitman arm parallel with the frame. Steering shaft was installed with the set screw on the bottom of the input shaft. This seems way too far off for a pitman and center link change.

The new box was clocked, put the pitman arm on, installed the box, center link, tightened everything down.. maybe this is normal but it seems incorrect to me.

I don't know if this is your problem, but if your toe is out of whack, it can do that.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is your problem, but if your toe is out of whack, it can do that.
Toe isn’t bad now. I am going to crawl under again and check something. I am wondering if I put the arm on 90° off. By mistake. I assumed it was clocked correctly. I didn’t put the arm on and cycle the box like a fool.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front end is much better now. Ordered lines from Inline Tube and they should be here this week. Had to cancel my alignment for tomorrow morning. Since I’ll be confined to the house it will be a good time to work on other projects.

I knew the lines were getting old. I had cleaned a bunch of grime off them earlier this year. Fluid level in the trans is good still.

Last edited:

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhhh so the Inline Tube kit showed up yesterday and they are NOT direct replacement. They are 3/8 (no big deal) but
1) the transmission side were quick connect, mine were threaded.
2) the quick connect for the auxiliary cooler was way different.
3) waaaay too long.

I emailed them and they are going to try and find me a replacement. Cool. I’ll use those on the ‘94. Thankfully my upper rad line was fine and the Sunsong lines from RA for great. It’s all back together now.

And as for the crank seal, it failed but it’s not obvious how. Dampener is smooth but has two faint lines on it. I have a feeling that the garter spring on the seal is weak. I have a new USA Timken to install tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_9760.jpeg
    IMG_9760.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9759.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9752.jpeg
    IMG_9752.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9750.jpeg
    IMG_9750.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9748.jpeg
    IMG_9748.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 9

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Uhhh so the Inline Tube kit showed up yesterday and they are NOT direct replacement. They are 3/8 (no big deal) but
1) the transmission side were quick connect, mine were threaded.
2) the quick connect for the auxiliary cooler was way different.
3) waaaay too long.

I emailed them and they are going to try and find me a replacement. Cool. I’ll use those on the ‘94. Thankfully my upper rad line was fine and the Sunsong lines from RA for great. It’s all back together now.

And as for the crank seal, it failed but it’s not obvious how. Dampener is smooth but has two faint lines on it. I have a feeling that the garter spring on the seal is weak. I have a new USA Timken to install tomorrow.
I reached out to inline about the nylon tank to front fuel line kit, turns out it only goes to the steel/flex line drop at the bellhousing. I wasn't too pleased with their options.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally getting back to this. Balancer is installed, re-checked the lines, sprayed everything with brake clean. Will take it for a drive tomorrow afternoon.

I’m looking at another ‘95 this weekend. LD K2500 5.7/NV3500 ECSB. Body is rotten because it lived its entire life as a farm truck but mechanically it was always taken care of. Guy wants $1,500 for it last time we talked but I’m going to try and get it for $800. I know it will need fuel/brake lines but that’s all shít I can do at my house.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is back on the ground. I replaced the MevoTech pitman arm with AC Delco. The steering is as I expect it to be. Wheel straight, toe out on passenger side. I looked at the MevoTech arm and it is clocked slightly differently than the AC Delco. That was my issue I believe. I knew I was not crazy!