1998 2 door tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission rebuild almost complete, a few minor delays, but has gone well

Overall this has been a very easy process.
My lessons learned for those who want try there own hand at it

Have a clean work space, make sure you have FME protection as it will probably take several days, easy way to screw your transmission by getting random metal shavings in it.

Make sure you have the right tools, i already had a press and air compressor, but inly had to buy about $250 in tools for the job, and cant do it without them
Spring compressor
Clutch spring compressor
2 good snap ring pliers, straight and angled
Gm bushing driver set

Of all the bushing the sun gear gave me the only issues, mainly because the extra wide bushing is bigger then the bushing driver sleeve. Attempt one went in slightly crooked and broke the bushing. Attempt two, the bushing driver sleeve cut a groove into the bushing from hammering and would not allow proper assembly. Attempt 3 i used the press and got a good install.

Be organized. Hundreds of parts, way more than an axle rebuild. I worked in sections, most of the tranny can be assembled in sections and then put all together.

Have a big tub and lots of mineral spirits to clean all your part

In total parts and tools came out to $2039

This Transmission rebuild should be well capable of handling more then have planned for the engine build. But im not really interested in stressing it or potential damaging it by doing stupid stuff

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally done with this, new everything and lots of upgrades, i dont know what its limits will be, but based on what i did and what high performance transmission have i should come no where close to the engine power to break it, thats assuming i did ever correct

You must be registered for see images attach

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of rebuilt the cruise control module, had to take apart the threaded cable to get it completely disassembled to get the aluminum housing powder coated. Had my wife re-sew the cable back together with high strength nylon thread

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the plan for the cleaning up the wire harnesses. Its techflex flexo PET expandable braided sleeving. Only thing i dont like with it is that i have to oversize the sleeve a little to get over the connectors. no way in messing with the old brittle connectors, I forsee that ending in disaster.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the plan for the cleaning up the wire harnesses. Its techflex flexo PET expandable braided sleeving. Only thing i dont like with it is that i have to oversize the sleeve a little to get over the connectors. no way in messing with the old brittle connectors, I forsee that ending in disaster.
Is it heat rated?