1997 K3500 4X4 Dually Front Brakes Questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My half ich drive torque wrench is too fat at the end to fit good.
Ordered a set of metric flair style crows foot. Hope that works ok. Tried to get a 21mm X 1/2 inch drive torque adapter but every one I found will take several days to get here!
Only other option at the moment is to use my 1/2 inch drive Matco swivel head ratchet with 2 foot handle and just crank them down! It has a very slim head and fits perfect.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok upon further examination we may be in business. With the wrench in this position we have plenty of room and even at a 90 to this it is still pretty square on the nut so I think we will be ok.
Got to go brush hog a field so will try this later.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a good video about torque specs on the youtube channel below...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
'Bout the only thing that really surprised me was the correction factor for anti-seize.

They're showing that the applied force is almost exactly double what the tool is adjusted for. I've always dialed-down my torque adjustment by 20%, and--apparently--I should have been using 50%.

I'm thinking that a couple of years ago when I last checked, the Permatex (or was it Loctite?) web site had torque correction factors for their various formulas of anti-seize, and they were along the lines of 10%--25% depending on the anti-seize formula. (Copper vs. Aluminum vs. Nickel)

Researching it right now, the "Permatex Training" web site says (lawyer talk, lawyer talk, disclaimers, disclaimers...) 20--30% reduction in torque-wrench setting.

But the actual product fact-sheets call for "normal torque values" when assembling, which is JUST CRAZY. I think that part was written by lawyers who are too scared to change torque settings from what the manufacturer of the assembly is calling for.
Permatex aluminum-based anti-seize:
www.permatex.com/wp-content/uploads/tds/80078.pdf

Permatex copper-based anti-seize:
www.permatex.com/wp-content/uploads/tds/09128.pdf

Loctite is much the same. They tell you to "tighten with hand tools to proper torque requirement." in the C5A (copper) anti-seize web page.
www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/anti-seize-lubricants/loctite_lb_8008_c5-a/_jcr_content.html

OTOH, they give you a torque coefficient for their marine-grade anti-seize, and the math formula for figuring out the torque adjustment:

The relationship between torque and
clamp load is expressed in the following equation:
T = K x F x D
T = Torque (N·m, lb.in, lb.ft)
K = Torque coefficient or nut factor, determine experimentally
F = Clamp load (N, lb.)
D = Nominal diameter of bolt (mm, in.)
Torque coefficient, k:
3/8 x 16 steel nuts and bolts 0.18
But they're not so helpful with their other grades of anti-seize; either providing different torque coefficients, or saying nothing at all about torque.

SO: You can't trust the anti-seize manufacturer to provide much help in the torque-adjustment field; and since a 20% adjustment has been working for me fairly well for thirty years, that's what I'm going with.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Bostik Never-Seez has a different take on torque values; including applying anti-seize to the underside of the bolt head which is all-new to me.
The use of Never-Seez Regular Grade requires about 30% less torque while providing the same clamping force on threads. Never-Seez Pure Nickel reduces torque by 15%, and Mariner’s Choice requires 41% less torque. This torque percentage is even lower if Never-Seez is applied to both the threads and bolt cap, which is the preferred method.
But then they totally fail to tell us how much to reduce the torque applied when the bolt-head is coated.