1997 K3500 4X4 Dually Front Brakes Questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, guy! Looking at some videos for front rotor removal on my '97 K3500 4X4 dually it seems that it is a pretty easy job.
I only find videos for a 2003 but the setup looks like mine.
Is it really this easy to just unbolt the outer "hub" that the rim bolts to from the rotor/hub assembly, remove caliper and bracket and slide the rotor off?
Here is a picture of what mine looks like. The picture is of a 2003 a guy is doing on YouTube. Mine looks exactly the same.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hub extender does come right off, but our trucks don't have those handy holes to run an extension through.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is it really this easy to just unbolt the outer "hub" that the rim bolts to from the rotor/hub assembly, remove caliper and bracket and slide the rotor off?

Slide rotor off? LOL, no. They're pinned to the back of the hubs by the studs. It's a pain in the butt. You have to pull the hubs.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone has a recommendation on rotors - please let me know.
I am going to compare the cost of online vs. local auto parts store.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking about them, but am also considering NEW Raysbestos Element3 calipers.

I was going to go with the Raybestos Element3 calipers as well, but they were on permanent back order when I was gathering parts.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to go with the Raybestos Element3 calipers as well, but they were on permanent back order when I was gathering parts.
I still have some time, but last I checked, one side( RAYBESTOS FRC4417N) is still unavailable. Been like that for awhile, so I emailed Raysbestos and they they just said “both sides are still in production”.
Just checked…still mostly out of stock.

Last edited:

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input.
I think rotors will likely come from O'Reilly's local as they start a$100 each and go up from there. As mentioned, a warped rotor is easier to deal with locally. Good advice!

My one remaining question, for now -
Torque specs for the 4 bolts that hold the hub on
Torque specs for the 8 nuts/studs that hold hub, rotor and wheel adapter together.
I don't have a service manual and imagine they are pricey. So far no joy with Google.