1995 K1500 TBI 350 Running Rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the EGR system. I did clean out the crossover in the intake, but I think passages leading to the intake plenum are clogged somewhere along the way, because I can apply vacuum to the EGR valve, have it open and there is no idle change. Have any recommendations?
what would you try to address first? I’ve obviously got compounded issues.
You know the EGR isn't working, probably start there.

Here's a pic of your intake manifold. The port with the red arrow is feeding the EGR Valve. The ports with blue arrows are access ports to both sides of the valve. You may have get out a hammer and chisel to clean all the carbon out until you get enough flow to make it work.
You must be registered for see images attach

When you have multiple issues, tackle one at a time until you remedy ALL of them.

IndexOf0

Reaction score
You know the EGR isn't working, probably start there.

Here's a pic of your intake manifold. The port with the red arrow is feeding the EGR Valve. The ports with blue arrows are access ports to both sides of the valve. You may have get out a hammer and chisel to clean all the carbon out until you get enough flow to make it work.
You must be registered for see images attach

When you have multiple issues, tackle one at a time until you remedy ALL of them.
I did clean out the center and those two ports in blue when I did the intake gaskets and I have flow through the exhaust side of the intake feeding the EGR, but there is an obstruction somewhere between there and the ports in the intake plenum. Is there any way to clear out it out while on the truck?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to clear out it out while on the truck?
Not really, you have to pull the intake and clean it from the other side and like I said, you may have to break through the crud to make a path for flow.

IndexOf0

Reaction score
Not really, you have to pull the intake and clean it from the other side and like I said, you may have to break through the crud to make a path for flow.
Fair enough. Would it be worth it if I have to pull the intake again to upgrade to the edelbrock 3704?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth it if I have to pull the intake again to upgrade to the edelbrock 3704?
FWIU it's advertised to add ~18 FT/LBS... You wanna spend that much denero? When I bought mine it was ONLY $351.95 now you're talking ~$500 but, at least you won't have to clean it :33:

IndexOf0

Reaction score
FWIU it's advertised to add ~18 FT/LBS... You wanna spend that much denero? When I bought mine it was ONLY $351.95 now you're talking ~$500 but, at least you won't have to clean it :33:
I found one on marketplace near me for $250. If I was spending $500+ I would just buy the TBI Vortec manifold and get Vortec heads.

IndexOf0

Reaction score
Yeah, they're only ~$700.

$250 sounds like a good deal - maybe too good?

It might b, but it was listed at $450 before a price reduction. It has a Holley TBI on it. I’ll probably just get my intake hot tanked and be done with it. Oh, quick question. The pipe plugs that are in the intake. Do you know if the one in the back on the drivers side leads to the EGR passage?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the one in the back on the drivers side leads to the EGR passage?
Those plugs go to the vacuum ports feeding the cylinders. The back one is connected to the EGR port but air flow goes to the cylinder. By removing the EGR Valve and the intake manifold, you have the best access to that.

IndexOf0

Reaction score
Those plugs go to the vacuum ports feeding the cylinders. The back one is connected to the EGR port but air flow goes to the cylinder. By removing the EGR Valve and the intake manifold, you have the best access to that.
Alright. I’ll get it removed and cleaned out and update you once that is done.