1994 GMC Headlight Assembly Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchernecki

Reaction score
The driver's side headlight assembly is tilted on my 1994 GMC. I can't find a way to correct it. Is this assembly improperly installed or something that can be corrected by adjusting the alignment? If so, which adjusting screw? See picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll have to pull the grille and loosen the 4 bolts holding the mounting panel onto the rad support and "adjust" it. The actual alignment adjuster won't correct what you have going on there.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The two normal adjustments available do not affect the droopy eye appearance. The adjusters (torx heads, viewable from top of core support) are for up/down, left/right on the beam.

There are dowel pins cast into the plastic base that locate the headlight assembly correctly (usally) - into the core support. While the four bolt holes are slotted to allow limited adjustment, the dowel pins will only let it go so far. Some aftermarket headlights are worse about the "droopy eye" effect than originals, but I've seen originals look this way, too.

If you're unable to straighten it up by just loosening the mounting bolts and moving it around a bit, you may need to do some minor hacking. I've had some aftermarket headlights that were bad enough I just said F it and knocked the dowel pins off then used a Dremel to slightly enlarge the slots in the mounting bracket, put them back in with the bolts just finger tight, mocked up the grille so I could straighten the headlights then carefully remove the grille so I could do the final tighten on the bolts.

If it's REALLY bad you'll find you may need to enlarge a couple clearance holes in the core support where the rear portion of the headlight adjuster gearboxes poke through.

Richard

mchernecki

Reaction score
I had the lights out last night to put in some LED bulbs. With the light out I was able to move the bracket a bit, not perfect but better. When I have some time, I will remove the grille and spend more time getting these corrected. Thanks for the advice.