1991 c1500 posible ignition switch failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ByerlyObs

Reaction score
I went to start my 1991 c1500 and all the dash lights came on and the radio came on but the starter didn't engage. Has anyone else had a similar issue could it be the starter or ignition switch?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most obvious suspect is the starter solenoid. When you turn the key is there power to the small terminal on the starter? Be careful, they can act intermittently and it might suddenly start on you.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It COULD be the ignition switch.
It COULD be the starter
It COULD be the starter solenoid
It COULD be the battery cables
It COULD be fuses, wire connections, pinched wire, or half-a-dozen other things.

Diagnosis needed. I would start by finding the open-circuit voltage of the battery, and then the voltage at the battery when the key is turned to "crank". Then, find the voltage at the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid when the key is turned to "crank".

Battery voltage should be 12.6--12.8, and not much less when the key is turned to 'crank" IF (big IF) the starter is not actually cranking.

Similarly, I'd expect 11+ volts at the solenoid "S" terminal when the key is turned to "crank".

Chokingdogs

Reaction score
I have similar/same issue. 95 C1500 4.3, bone stock.

Yesterday everything was fine, this morning go to start up and get one tiny click, then zippy.
Fuel and oil pressure gauge pegged past full/80 lbs. radio works, blower motor and wipers do not, nor does interior cab light. If I turn blower motor speed knob, oil pressure gauge bounces. Moving wiper speed does nothing. Headlights full on and when moving key to crank nothing changes, no dim, flicker, etc. my multimeter is not handy currently.
Based on what I’ve read thus far….it APPEARS like the ignition switch took a dump.
Again, yesterday everything was working as normal.
Thoughts?

Edit - forgot to mention that after the initial tiny starter click, there’s nothing now, not the faintest hint of power getting to the starter solenoid. I’ve dealt with GM starters and headers, so I’m familiar with the sounds they make when cooked but still get (some) power. This thing is dead silent, I’m fairly confident not one half of a volt is going down there.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I have similar/same issue. 95 C1500 4.3, bone stock.

Yesterday everything was fine, this morning go to start up and get one tiny click, then zippy.
Fuel and oil pressure gauge pegged past full/80 lbs. radio works, blower motor and wipers do not, nor does interior cab light. If I turn blower motor speed knob, oil pressure gauge bounces. Moving wiper speed does nothing. Headlights full on and when moving key to crank nothing changes, no dim, flicker, etc. my multimeter is not handy currently.
Based on what I’ve read thus far….it APPEARS like the ignition switch took a dump.
Again, yesterday everything was working as normal.
Thoughts?

Edit - forgot to mention that after the initial tiny starter click, there’s nothing now, not the faintest hint of power getting to the starter solenoid. I’ve dealt with GM starters and headers, so I’m familiar with the sounds they make when cooked but still get (some) power. This thing is dead silent, I’m fairly confident not one half of a volt is going down there.
1995 is very different from previous years, doesn't use the same ignition switch, harness, nada. First year for new column. Also first year for new electrical convenience center under the hood, which has two positive battery cables. One goes down to your starter, the other comes across the core support to the electrical center. Check the connection at the battery that it hasn't worked its way loose, and that there's no corrosion, especially in between those two cable ends.

Richard

Chokingdogs

Reaction score
Thanks. Did that…repositioned them as well. When I put the battery in few months ago I also cleaned up the connectors from corrosion, both ends battery and starter.

I’ve been meaning to change them to better/bigger ones, just haven’t made it that far.

It’s just strange, got no warning at all something was going wrong.