1989 Chevy Standard Cab Shortbox Stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i posted this in the overhead console mod thread...

ha! ha!

it wasn't hard at all...
remove overhead console
separate (unscrew) the two parts (top/bottom) of the console
attach LED's to the 'bottom part' (the plastic piece) of the console
screw the top and bottom pieces of the console back together **you can only go "so tight" with the screws becuz the LEDs are now sandwiched between the two pieces of the overhead console.
wire the LEDs to the truck (this was easy for me becuz i already had added power for my gauges in the ceiling)
reinstall the overhead console

it's definitely not as 'sexy' when the truck is off....
You must be registered for see images attach

i'm going to run with this for now. i'm thinking in the future i might redo this and instead of putting the LEDs between the two pieces of the console, add some plexy glass insert between the headliner and the console and move the LEDs there?? who knows.

these are the LEDs i used... LED cob strip lights

the LEDs i used were just left over from another project...

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
this past weekend i had enough spare time to get to the pick 'n pull and hit a gold mine!
earlier in the week they got in a single cab '89 gm truck... pretty much the exact same style of truck as mine. i pulled soooo much stuff out of that truck.
i really wanted the interior trim piece that runs along the back ceiling (the one above the seat with the dome light)... so to get that one piece out i had to remove the door sills, the piece that goes the width of the truck right under the back window and the pieces that go floor to ceiling behind the seat... then i could remove the ceiling piece i really wanted. the best part was all the pieces i had to remove were mint - in way better shape than mine... so i took all of it! ha!
i pillaged a bunch of other parts from that truck and some other older chevs & gmc's which was great.
i was also hoping to find a center console from a f150 becuz certain ones will fit great in my truck. by fluke the yard had also just got a 2006 f150 in earlier in the week and it still had the center console. now... the console itself was disgusting - so much crap spilled all over it - but all the parts were there and the parts were all in great shape (minus all the gunk all over it). after removing 4 15mm bolts that baby was mine.

once i was home i hit the center console with some hot soapy water, a scrub brush and some elbow grease - it looks really good. i am going to repaint it to better match my truck's interior - but it's going to work great!

this is what i scored....
ford center console - $31
bezel that goes around instrument cluster with the switch to the left of the steering wheel (which is why i wanted it!) - $18 (i also grabbed an extra switch from another truck)
all the interior trim pieces - $45 total
dome light - $9
instrument cluster (moonie speedo/oil/gas/temp/volts/odometer/trip)... i've got some ideas i want to try and i don't want to pooch mine - $50
climate control cluster - $42 (x2)
headlight switch cluster - $29 (x3)
the rubber pad that goes over top of the brake pedal - $3 (x6)
interior door pull handle - $8 (x3)
door arm rest - $11 (x2)
wire pigtails (the waterproof connectors found under the truck) - $4 (x2)

of course add provincial and federal taxes of 12% - ugh.
the only thing that annoyed me was a $45 'environmental fee' - so you're charging me for keeping stuff out of the landfill?? thanks government - so stupid.

pretty much all of this is stuff that i have replaced before (some multiple times) so just to have the parts when stuff eventually fails is totally worth it (in my mind anyways!). so yea - i'm pretty happy right now!

oh yea - i was online last night looking at 'used prices' for the ford center console i grabbed. stuff in the same condition as the one i got for $31 was anywhere from $300-$400!!!! that's insane in my mind!

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, that's a sweet steppy and story. Lots of good work.
What do you have planned to do to the Moonies you picked up? Is the DD set not "doing it" for you?

thanks!

i still like the dakota digital cluster - but i've had it forever and kinda want to change things up again. i'd love to go to one of the new DD clusters (i think they are soooo nice) but they are soooo crazy expensive - especially when we need to convert from usd to the loonie! the HDX clusters are $1545usd right now - so that's $2100 cad... ouch!!! plus add on the gear display module and maybe the odb2 interface module and that adds another $300-$400... ooof!!! and then i'm sure there will be shipping + 5% gst + duty (+ maybe 7% pst). i don't think my wife would go for that one! ha! ha!

one of the guys here (i can't remember who) painted their moonie guages to give them a new look....

i think that looks sweet... but instead of changing the orange line to white and the white "bar" black, i'm thinking i'd leave the orange bar alone and then paint 'stripes' on the white part in blue to compliment my truck. so on the above cluster, instead of the speedo being all black and then a white line 38 mph it would blue/white/blue/white/blue/white/blue/white/orange line at 38 mph. i'd make the width of the blue/white 'stripes' the same width as the orange bar.
it's kind of one of those things that i think will look cool.... but i want to see it in 'real life' to see if i like the look. also, the odometer on my moonies stopped spinning at 104000 back in 1997, so having a working odometer again would be nice. ha!

so something like this...

see... now that i see this i'm not sure... i'm a flames fan and having to look at oiler blue/white/orange kinda makes me want to puke in my mouth - ha! might have to change the orange to red or something!!! ha! ha!

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks!

i still like the dakota digital cluster - but i've had it forever and kinda want to change things up again. i'd love to go to one of the new DD clusters (i think they are soooo nice) but they are soooo crazy expensive - especially when we need to convert from usd to the loonie! the HDX clusters are $1545usd right now - so that's $2100 cad... ouch!!! plus add on the gear display module and maybe the odb2 interface module and that adds another $300-$400... ooof!!! and then i'm sure there will be shipping + 5% gst + duty (+ maybe 7% pst). i don't think my wife would go for that one! ha! ha!

one of the guys here (i can't remember who) painted their moonie guages to give them a new look....

i think that looks sweet... but instead of changing the orange line to white and the white "bar" black, i'm thinking i'd leave the orange bar alone and then paint 'stripes' on the white part in blue to compliment my truck. so on the above cluster, instead of the speedo being all black and then a white line 38 mph it would blue/white/blue/white/blue/white/blue/white/orange line at 38 mph. i'd make the width of the blue/white 'stripes' the same width as the orange bar.
it's kind of one of those things that i think will look cool.... but i want to see it in 'real life' to see if i like the look. also, the odometer on my moonies stopped spinning at 104000 back in 1997, so having a working odometer again would be nice. ha!

see... now that i see this i'm not sure... i'm a flames fan and having to look at oiler blue/white/orange kinda makes me want to puke in my mouth - ha! might have to change the orange to red or something!!! ha! ha!
That's my dash, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks!

You had me sold right up until the Flames fan thing!!!! Lol. I'm north of Edmonton.
I've looked at the new stuff Dakota has. It's insanely expensive to get up here for sure, but it sure looks good. Even if I could afford it, I probably wouldn't.