14ff corporate vs AAM 10.5- parts compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the proper terms and no one will be confused

The diff cover gaskets are the same and likely the axle flange gaskets too. As for the rest, why don't you just try it? It's not hard
I have to buy parts to test everything and I am not very cash flow extra right now being I was off work for weeks recovering from surgery.

And your attitude is not necessary. Since your attitude came with an assumption about events that happened and isnt actually about events that happened, im going to carry on.

I also need to get the fluid for my 2005 axle as its not the same as the 76, and if I couldnt end up doing the cover i wouldnt want to have removed and drained everything and then found that out. lol.

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to buy parts to test everything and I am not very cash flow extra right now being I was off work for weeks recovering from surgery.

And your attitude is not necessary. Since your attitude came with an assumption about events that happened and isnt actually about events that happened, im going to carry on.

I also need to get the fluid for my 2005 axle as its not the same as the 76, and if I couldnt end up doing the cover i wouldnt want to have removed and drained everything and then found that out. lol.
edit: edited for politeness

You can absolutely use the same fluid in both axles unless one has an aftermarket limited slip that requires a special additive. Open diff or G80 in either doesn't necessitate a special fluid

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't be so sensitive and just take the criticism. People are confused because you said the wrong thing. Not a big deal

You can absolutely use the same fluid in both axles unless one has an aftermarket limited slip that requires a special additive. Open diff or G80 in either doesn't necessitate a special fluid
No, the fluid In my 76 is a bulk gear oil that is not the spec i am supposed to be using i nmy 2005. I have plenty in a bucket with a pump on it. and I likely can reuse my 76 fluid (which will be a LOT since its fully submerged at the moment)

but I need to buy the spec for my 2005

And I am not as sensitive as you think. Im sensitive that you are disregarding the facts of the situation and are telling me something I already know, and 454 clearly laid out as well, are infact wrong. I didnt use incorrect terms, I used ones that in this context of this forum were not clear to you all as they were to me , who learned them elsewhere. Not hard to understand that a weed wacker and a weed whipper can be the same object but in different places one will find it called one rather than the other.
Or a topper/cap for a truck bed.

A bonnet/hood for a car.

Either way, I made my point. im not upset by the way. But It had to be said

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the proper terms and no one will be confused

Aam 10.5 is a dodge axle. Stop calling things the wrong name and again no one will be confused

You have 2 14 bolts. Just saying 14 bolt implies the full float version, which both of yours are. one is the newer version so just call it a disc 14 bolt, because discs only came on the newer ones

The diff cover gaskets are the same and likely the axle flange gaskets too. You have both axles and the parts already but want someone to give you the answer instead of finding out yourself? don't be lazy
I actually i have 3, i used to have 4. And 14 bolt SEMI float is a thing. I dont have a semi float 14 bolt. The 14 bolt also yes the new ones had disc brakes but unless im mistaken when gm returned to drum brakes in the gmt 800 that likely meant that it was possible to have either one in that time

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wtf are you on about, the terms weren't clear to all of us but were to only you? That should tell you something

Wow cool, that has nothing to do with anything. I said you had 2 because that's what YOU mentioned having. While expecting to be spoon fed an answer you weren't willing to find yourself

A 14 bolt SEMI float is called exactly that. If you call it just a 14 bolt you're saying it wrong. I'm aware you have a FF which is why I said that

Show me when full float 14 bolts were used in the NBS trucks. They switched to
Disc and didn't go back
I really dont know why you are so antagonistic. I will assume you are confrontational and its not personal since i just met you.

I dont understand what you said in the last sentence. by NBS do you mean gmt800+? I have a full float in the 2005. Unless you typo and meant drum brake.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The newer axles got synthetic gear oil, but I wouldn't hesitate to run regular 80w90, if you've already got it.

You should be able to ID the gasket you need just by looking at the cover, while on the truck. As far as swapping covers, if they fit, they fit. I think they will. Looking at Rockauto's offerings, the fitment guides look incomplete, to me. If I look up a 73, the fewer parts they list often go up to the 2000s, but'll skip 87. If I look under 2005 they only go back to the 80's. I think it's just screwy listings. Covers don't really need to change to accommodate a new vehicle platform. Maaaybe the accommodation for the brake lines changed?

As I mentioned elsewhere, the gaskets I've used for the axle shafts were a funny paper. As long as there isn't a significant thickness difference, I'd think either would work. Some people skip the gasket and go straight to RTV.

New GM covers are available, too. I think I remember someone in the last few months buying a new GM cover that was cheap/crappy, Though. I got mine several years ago on ebay as a kit.... cover/gasket/bolts.

Bolts.... my 99 still uses SAE cover bolts. I'd guess your 2005 does too, but I'd suspect you could get something functional from Menard's or TSC, either way, if you needed to.

A wire wheel on a angle grinder makes quick work of old gasket material, just don't get any stray wires stuck in you, or inside the differential. I haven't been able to find a wire wheel that doesn't throw wire.

What made you decide to pull your axle shafts? That oil looks really brown.

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really dont know why you are so antagonistic. I will assume you are confrontational and its not personal since i just met you.
Not confrontational really, just clarifying terminology
I dont understand what you said in the last sentence. by NBS do you mean gmt800+? I have a full float in the 2005. Unless you typo and meant drum brake.
Sorry that was a typo, I forgot to add the word "drum", I will go back and edit

Was saying that the 14b FF axle got discs and didn't go back to drum

And yes, NBS meaning the gmt800 trucks. NBS is admittedly a dumb term but still pretty widely used. Gmt800 or just saying 99-07 is a better descriptor

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not confrontational really, just clarifying terminology

Sorry that was a typo, I forgot to add the word "drum", I will go back and edit

Was saying that the 14b FF axle got discs and didn't go back to drum

And yes, NBS meaning the gmt800 trucks. NBS is admittedly a dumb term but still pretty widely used. Gmt800 or just saying 99-07 is a better descriptor
I did take a look, gm of course said that they returned to rear drums in 2004, but it appears only in light duty 1500? But light duty 2500 maybe also got drums? but i assume LD 2500 wouldnt get a full floater, but i have no idea.
I have a 2005 hd so makes sense i have the disc

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I don't even like using the year range because GM overlaps platforms. Our trucks are 88-98, but there were still Squarebodies being built through 91, and GMT-400s were still being built through 2000, and even later if you want to include the 3500HD that went through 2002 in the US.