‘98 Vortec Engine Performance Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spike43180

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to the group. I just picked up a ‘98 K1500, one-owner truck. The original owner had the transmission rebuilt and GM crate engine installed 16,000 miles ago, so everything is fresh. I’m used to driving LS trucks, so I’m used to more power. I want to keep the truck as original as possible so no LS swapping.
Anyone have recommendations of good power upgrades for these engines? I’m going to do the exhaust asap. Thanks in advance for the advice

Attachments

• IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 6

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely the exhaust.

For a decent cheap upgrade, I'd go with 1.6 rockers.

MPFI conversion. It replaces the stock poppet-style fuel injection with actual injectors. Your truck will run smoother and won't be as sensitive to fuel pressure.

Then a tune.

SableSlayer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the exhaust.

For a decent cheap upgrade, I'd go with 1.6 rockers.

MPFI conversion. It replaces the stock poppet-style fuel injection with actual injectors. Your truck will run smoother and won't be as sensitive to fuel pressure.

Then a tune.
What do the rockers do for it?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have a 1.6:1 ratio instead of the stock 1.5:1, which increases your lift and lengthens your duration @.050 a couple degrees. The your intake/exhaust lift goes from .414/.428 to .442/.457. It's nowhere the performance gain you can get from an entirely different cam, but it's a cheap bump that keeps everything pretty stock.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi I’m new to the group. I just picked up a ‘98 K1500, one-owner truck. The original owner had the transmission rebuilt and GM crate engine installed 16,000 miles ago, so everything is fresh. I’m used to driving LS trucks, so I’m used to more power. I want to keep the truck as original as possible so no LS swapping.
Anyone have recommendations of good power upgrades for these engines? I’m going to do the exhaust asap. Thanks in advance for the advice
If you can find someone that still has them a Volant intake, a set of long tubes, decent exhaust and a tune will wake it up.