Weak ass horn on '99 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my horn is supposed to sound like a joke, or if there is something wrong with my horn. Any one want to comment on how their Suburban's horn sounds? Any thoughts on decent, and fairly cheap (this is not a high priority item for me) replacements?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are 2 horns on these trucks. It makes two tones. One high, one low. I think it is the high tone that goes out, leaving you with only one tone, making the horn sound very week.
When mine went out, I went to the salvage yard to get another, after the dealer wanted a lot for a replacement. I found that not one truck had a high tone horn that worked. I tried 4 or 5 trucks at least. I gave up, and got an air horn. It sucked, So I ended up taking the 2 horns off of a Lexus. They have been on my truck for at least a year or so now, and they still work grate.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Thanks Kenny - that makes sense. I didn't understand how they could make the horn so weak. I see a high note replacement online for about 25, so maybe I'll just go with that.

Where abouts is this horn located in the engine bay?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are behind the grill. After you remove the front grill, they are bolted to the vertical brace in the middle of the radiator, are in front of the AC evap. core actuality. Here is a video on removing the grill, if you look close you can see the brace, and even the horns in the back ground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrWcnMQorY

mistaake

Reaction score
I will test mine on my Suburban tomorrow. Never tried it (just got the truck)... I had no horn on my old 83 C20 I ended up using two scrap horns from the Tesla dealership next to where I work (e-waste recyling/computer shop) and it sounded fantastic. $0 solutions are the best!

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
They are behind the grill. After you remove the front grill, they are bolted to the vertical brace in the middle of the radiator, are in front of the AC evap. core actuality. Here is a video on removing the grill, if you look close you can see the brace, and even the horns in the back ground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrWcnMQorY

Sweet, thanks Kenny.

I will test mine on my Suburban tomorrow. Never tried it (just got the truck)... I had no horn on my old 83 C20 I ended up using two scrap horns from the Tesla dealership next to where I work (e-waste recyling/computer shop) and it sounded fantastic. $0 solutions are the best!

I'd love the irony of using Tesla parts on my guzzler.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The second horn is mounted to the core support in front of the battery.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have horn problems...
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach