Radiators.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Does your truck eat them? I go through one about every 50k. In doing the SAS I pulled it and while inspecting it I found yet another leak in another radiator. Only 30k on this one. I use stock replacements, never put an upgraded on in the truck but it has never, ever came even close to over heating. I had to replace one in a GMT400 Z71 I had as well. I have the transmission lines capped so I know that isn't the issue. Too much pressure? They always leak at the seems.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is 19 years old and is still doing good. Yes I know im going to get a new one soon.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one in my 93 only lasted about 40,000 km and the plastic tanks started to leak at the aluminum core. I thought about getting an aftermarket one because I could get a killer deal on a all aluminum one with a electric fan but I sold the truck before it really started to piss.

chevydude1608

Reaction score
the radiator in my 98 leaks but i havnt been driving it that much do to other problems it only seems that leaks just before the thermostat opens up so yea pressure and its from where the plastic side part connects but my dads about to put a 4core in his k5 blazer and as long as the hoses will go on the 2 core thats in it ill make brackets to put that one in my truck. never had a problem with my older trucks that had all metal ones

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
ive heard its that dex cool crap gm puts in the gm vehicles, the dex cool is very corrosive and causes problems according to my mechanic, he showed me the old motor how dex cool has corroded all this stuff, i maybe wrong but seems like it corrodes through things and causes leaks had a problem w my cousins gf chevy cobalt from dex cool, when i put in new motor and radiator my mechanic put regular green antifreeze since its doesnt corrode like dex cool.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
The dex cool is awful. That's why my truck was overheating. I'm not sure about it being corrosive though.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only places i have had them leak is where the oil cooler lines go in (they crack) and where the tubes between the tanks are soldered

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I've never ran Dexcool. I run 25% regular green. I guess I'll go grab a welded one. Heck I spend 300 bucks a piece on these, might as well. Is it the pressure that the water pumps are pushing?

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
I've never ran Dexcool. I run 25% regular green. I guess I'll go grab a welded one. Heck I spend 300 bucks a piece on these, might as well. Is it the pressure that the water pumps are pushing?
around here the replacement rads are $150.
I replaced mine last year with an all alum from radiatorexpress.com $250 nice rad
I also use the orange crap from NAPA 11 bucks a gallon no water in the NAPA stuff
all alum rads need to have a ground wire on them or they will corrode.
Steve