95 Tahoe 350 tbi rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncdmax03

Reaction score
I had to tear into my motor for some spun bearings and while I am in it I'd like to do a cam a set of heads and Intake but nothing crazy it's my dd but I would like a Lil more kick out of it what would tall suggest and Ive thought but swapping it to carb so I wouldn't have to tune it.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
a fairly cheap easy way would be to get a set of cheap vortec heads from your local junkyard (don't know if your 95 has them or not its hit and miss with that year) and edelbrock performer rpm intake comp cams 262 grind cam and a Holley 650 or your equivalent I just like holley also headers and good exhaust and youll be driving a good power (not huge HP but good enough for a hoe) DD

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing hit or miss at all on a 1995 TBI 5.7, they did not come with Vortec heads. The intake bolt pattern is unique and you will not see a factory TBI intake on a set of Vortec heads. The GMPP intake to put a TBI on Vortecs is $400. Part # 12496821.

Swapping to a carb brings a whole different set of issues to deal with and their expense. Number one on the list is that your transmission is electronically controlled so TPS, MAP, and several other signals are pretty crucial to its proper operation.

You say it's a DD and you don't want to go crazy with it, and don't want to tune. It's a TBI. Best to leave it stock unless you're ready to dive all the way in; there are no "easy" mods that actually net you any real power.

Richard

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing hit or miss at all on a 1995 TBI 5.7, they did not come with Vortec heads. The intake bolt pattern is unique and you will not see a factory TBI intake on a set of Vortec heads. The GMPP intake to put a TBI on Vortecs is $400. Part # 12496821.

Swapping to a carb brings a whole different set of issues to deal with and their expense. Number one on the list is that your transmission is electronically controlled so TPS, MAP, and several other signals are pretty crucial to its proper operation.

You say it's a DD and you don't want to go crazy with it, and don't want to tune. It's a TBI. Best to leave it stock unless you're ready to dive all the way in; there are no "easy" mods that actually net you any real power.

Richard

my bad thought the vortecs came in half way through the year for some reason and didn't see the tbi part in the header, and that intake is sensless to get when you can get an edelbrock performer rpm (part # 7116)with the adapter for cheaper and get way better performance don't get me wrong Richard your opinion and knowledge are highly valued on that same note theirs always a way around everything

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm aware of using a carb intake and adapter, you're still into it for about $250 or more depending on where you buy, to end up with an intake and an adapter on it. Less than ideal situation. Not really what I'd want under my hood but to each his own. Once you start down the path of getting too far away from stock with these TBI's the pain sets in, if you want it to run right. Best to really re-think the goals, budget, and effort.

Richard

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes to each their own my thoughts are looks im for the performance as that goes the edelbrock performer rpm intakes have been proven time and time again to be one of the best dual plane intakes on the market right now as for the carb to tbi adaption theirs nothing to it no clue why it wouldn't be ideal any aftermarket true tbi intake needs a good amount of work to flow good air. a buddy of mine is running a 325hp crate vortec 350 with the performer rpm and tbi adaption in his 93 k1500 5 speed manual thing is retarded 3rd gear can spin 35s no problem. weve got a 355 tbi block were putting a set of vortecs the performer rpm and tbi on for for under $350CD cheap power if you ask me

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the vortec swap, and I'm really happy with the power. Havent driven it enough to get mileage numbers, but they should be pretty good. I used the 7116 manifold ($75 used), did the ultimate TBI mods (for the cost of some Roloc discs from Harbor Freight), added the 18lbs spring in the regulator, and TBI adapter from ebay. I installed the complete cam, roller lifters, spider and retainers, and pushrods from an LT1. I did a couple other things including headers and E-fans too. Idles very smoothly and pulls pretty hard. I would heartily recommend it for a daily driver. I do intend to do some tuning on it, but so far it isnt absolutely necessary. I would never go back to carbs myself, it just leaves too much driveabilty and torque on the table.

Build thread: http://forum.gmtruckcentral.com/showthread.php/1549-90-TBI-Upgrades

ncdmax03

Reaction score
ok well tuning it is not a big deal I just would like a little more kick out of it, so I was looking at as et of vortec head on jegs and a new intake just not sure what cam to run would like good sound and power. ive got a set of headers to go on and e fans. so whats the best choice for me ?

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok well tuning it is not a big deal I just would like a little more kick out of it, so I was looking at as et of vortec head on jegs and a new intake just not sure what cam to run would like good sound and power. ive got a set of headers to go on and e fans. so whats the best choice for me ?
one huge thing you must know and remember about vortec heads is you absolutely don't want to go over 470 lift (everyones numbers are different but ive seen a lot of ppl that have run under 470 cams with no problems) the most recommended cam for stock vortecs would be the comp cams xe262 or equivalent. on the same note if you want more lift and got the buck get the heads machined to fit higher lift springs (screw in studs are a must if you go this route) and go with a higher lift cam another thing to think about is hydraulic roller cam or hydraulic flat cam (for the engine im building im just goin flat)

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
one huge thing you must know and remember about vortec heads is you absolutely don't want to go over 470 lift

This was true back when Vortec heads first came out. But technology never sleeps. This is what I did.

http://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spring-kit-sb-chevy-vortec-hi-perf-hyd-roller/

I would also recommend going with a roller cam. The efficiency and power go up for a relatively low cost. Im running a stock LT1 cam-so far Im happy with it. I too would love a rumpy cam-for the sound alone-but TBI ECMs cant tolerate them very well.