94 k1500 brake light fuse and the yellow wire going to the brake switch is getting hot. Any help is appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr13

Reaction score
Out of no where the brake lights stopped coming on when the pedal is pressed. Brake light and turn signal switch are good. All other lights and indicators work. Now the lights come on, but the fuse and yellow wire connected to the brake light switch and the fuse are getting hot as soon as the pedal is pressed. Anyone able to help me out?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure it’s not a white wire going to brake light switch?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Positive, it's yellow
That’s odd, never heard of a yellow wire, I’ve only seen white for these trucks. Never seen a fuse either, any chance someone d*cked with it?
You must be registered for see images attach

Dr13

Reaction score
That’s odd, never heard of a yellow wire, I’ve only seen white for these trucks. Never seen a fuse either, any chance someone d*cked with it?
You must be registered for see images attach
everything looks factory to me. There is a orange, yellow, pink and two purple connected together.

Attachments

• 20240506_181704.jpg
    20240506_181704.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 5

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yes it's yellow for the brake lights circuit on the 94s. It's white after the multifunction switch. You'll need to check for breaks in your wires, possibly at the tail lights, or a bad connection if you have a trailer extension harness. Check the ground for the tail lights as well, bad grounding can also cause higher current draw.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bad grounding can also cause higher current draw.
More resistance = less current. Your current flow through the ground will never be more than when the ground is making its best connection.

Is there a short that's drawing more current through the wire? Is one of the bulbs a 24v bulb?