Why everyone carb swapping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as I know, the Edelbrock Q-Jet RPM (P/N 1910) was advertised as 850 CFM, but was the identical casting to certain Carter Q-Jets formerly produced for GM except for removing the "Carter" branding, and substituting a bigass "W" for Weber. It was rated at 850 CFM "at the sales brochure", not due to anything special. I have one on my '66 Toronado/455 Olds.

The whole Edelbrock Q-Jet line traces back to Weber buying some or all of the Carter Carburetor tooling; Weber built AFBs, AVS, and Q-Jets off of the Carter tooling under contract to Edelbrock. Cliff Ruggles said the quality went down from the genuine Carter-built carbs, (which were not as good as Rochester-built Q-Jets) the calibration changed over time, and he doesn't especially like any of the Edelbrock offerings--although I think that was prior to Edelbrock building a Holley-style carb with adjustable everything. Other folks on a Pontiac forum I pay attention to have also complained about the Edelbrock AFB and AVS carbs. They're "calibrated for Chevys, so they don't work right on Pontiacs". I guess Carter had a heap of calibration parts--air doors and more--that Weber is not making for Edelbrock.

Does that thing serve a purpose?
The aneroid bellows, or the shot-glass that replaced it?

The aneroid bellows was used for one year--1975--the way I remember it, and only on select models. It compensated for altitude changes. Caused a lot of problems. It was gone the next year.

MOST of the '75--'80-ish "Mod Quad" (Modified Quadrajet) carbs got the plastic filler "shot glass" instead.

When they went to computer control, they re-purposed that part of the casting to accommodate the Mixture Control Solenoid. The MCS was how the computer adjusted the part-throttle fuel mixture based on O2 sensor feedback. The normal metering rods, jets, air bleeds, and channel restrictions got the fueling "close", the MCS only controlled the "fine tuning" on the primary side. And at WFO, the computer wasn't really in control of the carb, I think everything went "full rich" on the primary side, and the secondary side of the Q-Jet never did have computer control.

The final use of that section of the carb casting, was for an electric solenoid in the accelerator pump circuit used on NON-computer-controlled light-duty trucks up to '84--'85, something like that. There was a temperature switch, and a solenoid that looked like a mixture-control solenoid, but a different color. The solenoid would activate based on temperature; increasing or decreasing the accelerator pump shot.

I thought though once you got into a larger needle and seat that they become even more sensitive to fuel pressure, i.e. that larger needle is super easy to push off the seat.
True. The earliest Q-Jets that had normal needles/seats were the worst for this, later ones had revised geometry on the float arm that provided greater leverage on the needle--worked better.

Then there's what the Oldsmobile Guys call the "Patty Melt" Q-Jets. Some of the higher-end cars--the '66 Toronados for example, but they weren't the only ones--got a "pressure balanced" needle and seat assembly. They were completely insensitive to fuel pressure within their working range, making float bowl fuel level easy to control. The problem in this case was the needle and seat assembly relied on a rubber diaphragm as part of the plumbing. When the rubber diaphragm ruptured, the fuel flow was uncontrollable. The carbs would overflow with fuel, and cause engine fires. How this got termed "Patty Melt" is beyond me...talk to the Olds Guys. I suppose that the result of the engine fire was that the poor carburetor melted into a patty of zinc and steel.

In addition, I have a Toronado fuel pump from that era. It has a damping chamber to reduce fuel pulsation pressure spikes. Perhaps this was to make life easier on that pressre-balanced needle 'n' seat arrangement.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that thing serve a purpose?
Not that I can see other than to fill a hole that would be better filled with fuel. Later on Buick carbs(I think) they put an adjustable second main circuit in that hole with a seat and needle that crossed over into both main jet wells. MaxEx mentioned it in an earlier post. Personally I didn't like it. When you adjusted it to get your part throttle mixture right it threw your PE off and vice versa. I chased it around,even made special primary needles. After about a week of screwing with that thing I scrounged up and old 700 series Q-jet and bolted that onto the guy's airboat told the guy when he was out fishing to throw that POS overboard.
I feel like I remember this cage dealie being inside the bowl now but I also like to remember stuff incorrectly sometimes as well. The pump I have on now (mechanical) pushes like 9 at an idle which I've never liked.

I thought though once you got into a larger needle and seat that they become even more sensitive to fuel pressure, i.e. that larger needle is super easy to push off the seat.
Yup!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as I know, the Edelbrock Q-Jet RPM (P/N 1910) was advertised as 850 CFM, but was the identical casting to certain Carter Q-Jets formerly produced for GM except for removing the "Carter" branding, and substituting a bigass "W" for Weber. It was rated at 850 CFM "at the sales brochure", not due to anything special. I have one on my '66 Toronado/455 Olds.

The whole Edelbrock Q-Jet line traces back to Weber buying some or all of the Carter Carburetor tooling; Weber built AFBs, AVS, and Q-Jets off of the Carter tooling under contract to Edelbrock. Cliff Ruggles said the quality went down from the genuine Carter-built carbs, (which were not as good as Rochester-built Q-Jets) the calibration changed over time, and he doesn't especially like any of the Edelbrock offerings--although I think that was prior to Edelbrock building a Holley-style carb with adjustable everything. Other folks on a Pontiac forum I pay attention to have also complained about the Edelbrock AFB and AVS carbs. They're "calibrated for Chevys, so they don't work right on Pontiacs". I guess Carter had a heap of calibration parts--air doors and more--that Weber is not making for Edelbrock.

The aneroid bellows, or the shot-glass that replaced it?

The aneroid bellows was used for one year--1975--the way I remember it, and only on select models. It compensated for altitude changes. Caused a lot of problems. It was gone the next year.

MOST of the '75--'80-ish "Mod Quad" (Modified Quadrajet) carbs got the plastic filler "shot glass" instead.

When they went to computer control, they re-purposed that part of the casting to accommodate the Mixture Control Solenoid. The MCS was how the computer adjusted the part-throttle fuel mixture based on O2 sensor feedback. The normal metering rods, jets, air bleeds, and channel restrictions got the fueling "close", the MCS only controlled the "fine tuning" on the primary side. And at WFO, the computer wasn't really in control of the carb, I think everything went "full rich" on the primary side, and the secondary side of the Q-Jet never did have computer control.

The final use of that section of the carb casting, was for an electric solenoid in the accelerator pump circuit used on NON-computer-controlled light-duty trucks up to '84--'85, something like that. There was a temperature switch, and a solenoid that looked like a mixture-control solenoid, but a different color. The solenoid would activate based on temperature; increasing or decreasing the accelerator pump shot.

True. The earliest Q-Jets that had normal needles/seats were the worst for this, later ones had revised geometry on the float arm that provided greater leverage on the needle--worked better.

Then there's what the Oldsmobile Guys call the "Patty Melt" Q-Jets. Some of the higher-end cars--the '66 Toronados for example, but they weren't the only ones--got a "pressure balanced" needle and seat assembly. They were completely insensitive to fuel pressure within their working range, making float bowl fuel level easy to control. The problem in this case was the needle and seat assembly relied on a rubber diaphragm as part of the plumbing. When the rubber diaphragm ruptured, the fuel flow was uncontrollable. The carbs would overflow with fuel, and cause engine fires. How this got termed "Patty Melt" is beyond me...talk to the Olds Guys. I suppose that the result of the engine fire was that the poor carburetor melted into a patty of zinc and steel.

In addition, I have a Toronado fuel pump from that era. It has a damping chamber to reduce fuel pulsation pressure spikes. Perhaps this was to make life easier on that pressre-balanced needle 'n' seat arrangement.

There you go,out typing me again!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other folks on a Pontiac forum I pay attention to have also complained about the Edelbrock AFB and AVS carbs. They're "calibrated for Chevys, so they don't work right on Pontiacs". I guess Carter had a heap of calibration parts--air doors and more--that Weber is not making for Edelbrock.
I plonked an Edelbrock 750 right onto my Cadillac and it ran like a top. When I put it in my Jag with my home-built headers I had to rejet it waaaay richer, and I discovered that Edelbrock's "tuning kit" is an embarrassingly dinky selection of jets and springs that they sell for $70. Amazon sells no-name kits for $16.

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
The only reason people carb swap is lack of computer tuning knowledge and skill. Besides being easier to "tune", there is no advantage at all to running a carb over a proper efi set up for the application. None.
Respectfully disagree with the absolutes in that-
My friends and I all have tuned EFI (batch, SD, Alpha-n, MAF) both in DD and sub 5.50 sec street applications since 2002. I've been tuning Holley-based carbs since 1980. My current project is converting my 1989 TBI GMT400 to carb'd, HEI'd (Quickflow) Vortec.

Advantages?.....an EMP strike.:) ......or avoiding the cost and chinese-quality of TPS, IAC, MAP / MAF, CPS (crank and camshaft), knock, etc sensors required for proper inputs to the ECU controlling the EFI. Anyone that's purchased a Standard, Delphi or..wait for it..HOLLEY sensor for any EFI application in the last 10 years can relate.

We've sold our soul to them foreigners, lol.

And regarding the 5 Bubbas pic? Some of us embrace our heritage. Any of those men could be PhD Physicists- I know; I work with them....but do us a favor- don't tell anyone (especially N of TN) that folks that wear overalls, wear ballcaps and drive beaters may be edumucated.
Remember: lots of racists, dirt roads, Christian nationalists and Bubbas and Bucks. The cheerleaders on College Football Saturdays are ALL transplants from CA or N of TN. Stay away at all costs! **Unless you're a Yankee golfer playing the RTJ trail- then come for 3 days: spend money, play all the trail tees from the purple, get your brains beat out by a Bubba because -gasp- we can actually play 12 months/year and enjoy golf outside of a Lifesize video game and complete a round in less than 6 hours. ;)

But I still love my carbs.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve hoarded a few of the later style 800 CFM versions. I even snagged an Edelbrock Q jet that was rated for 850 CFM however after further inspection I believe they inflated the rating as the bores are the same diameter as my 800s.
No your larger castings are the 850 cfm. With the throttle plates and air door adjusted correctly the larger castings all flow 847 cfm according to Cliff Ruggles.