Want to Learn To Tune - Need help getting started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Universal Patcher (free) is what I am using. Made my own bench harness from scrap stuff (free) and bought an OBDX Link, I think the SX (at work and stuff is at home) Had EFI Live years ago, but now just doing what I need with UP

What files are you looking for?
I have a 98 K2500 7.4L with a 4x4 4L80E so I need BIN and whatever else files I need in order to start this 0411 swap

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find the correct files lol
7.4 is tricky, as there isnt a base file for it, you either have to make it your self or find someone who has made one already

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You just start with the same L31 express van base file and adjust from there. The big issue is going to be getting appropriate injector data. It's easier if you have stock style injectors because you can steal the injector data from a 98-99 stock black box file. It can get to be a problem if you have aftermarket or unknown non-stock injectors. Once you have a baseline for timing and injector data(I would take the timing tables from an 8.1L base file) you just do the MAF tuning and VE tuning like you would on any other Gen III LS. Then, once you get that dialed in you can start messing with cruise timing if you feel like it.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You just start with the same L31 express van base file and adjust from there. The big issue is going to be getting appropriate injector data. It's easier if you have stock style injectors because you can steal the injector data from a 98-99 stock black box file. It can get to be a problem if you have aftermarket or unknown non-stock injectors. Once you have a baseline for timing and injector data(I would take the timing tables from an 8.1L base file) you just do the MAF tuning and VE tuning like you would on any other Gen III LS. Then, once you get that dialed in you can start messing with cruise timing if you feel like it.
Don't i need to open both files and just copy over the data then?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start with the MAF curve I added in the tune file I added in the 0411 thread as well. It was interpolated out of a GMT400 black box.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't i need to open both files and just copy over the data then?
yes. Go look at the file that L31 is talking about in the 0411 thread. I think someone posted a 454 starter file in there... but maybe not. I would send you one, but mine is converted to CNP, so I just used an 8122 OS for an 8.1 truck as my starter file instead of the express van file.

If you really can't find one, I can probably make you a starter file to get it running and start tuning from using HP tuners to open the black box base file and then copy into Tunerpro to get a Bin file for you.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just a heads up, if you order the bench test adapter for the 0411, take apart the electrical tape and inspect the wire crimping. whoever made mine used uninsulated crimps, then just wrapped them in tape, shorting out the (+) and (-) wires.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What operating system are y’all using on your PCs?