Vortec 454 air cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the factory air cleaner housing is specific to the 454 vortec ? Or would a 5.7 filter housing work ?

Thanks

They're the same, although there are early and late designs.

Edit: tubing from the throttle body to the airbox will be different since the throttle bodies are oriented differently.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there's a "regular, A1300C" and a "severe dust A1301C" air filter that fit the same filter box. Thinking the "severe dust" filter has more filter area--more pleats, more better.

(Not the decal--see the molded lettering below.)
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And there's a "regular, A1300C" and a "severe dust A1301C" air filter that fit the same filter box. Thinking the "severe dust" filter has more filter area--more pleats, more better.

(Not the decal--see the molded lettering below.)
I do not know if they still build the high dust filters the same way, but the old stock AC Delco version had a foam pre-filter wrap as well. AC Delco has discontinued several of the foam wrapped filters over the years.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to lookup air filters for a 6.5L diesel to find the poly prefilter equipped units for both the 01-02 3500 HD and my stock 97 vans airbox. The K47 gas engine filter setups had these pre filters back in the day.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know if they still build the high dust filters the same way, but the old stock AC Delco version had a foam pre-filter wrap as well. AC Delco has discontinued several of the foam wrapped filters over the years.
Yup. The A1301C is apparently discontinued. The few places I see that have one for sale, have no foam pre-filter.

Last edited:

Mustang-22

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll grab one at the wrecker. I still have the tubing, but someone put a newer style from a 6.0 lq4 and the entire bottom is open. Don't think it would work well in the winter

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I think back , some the other , Baldwin , Wix , Hastings some others still supplied the Foam pre filter wrap HD, or dusty, or desert filter. It was available from frame also The #326 the TBI style also came in 4 or 5 inch tall version.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never heard of the HD air cleaners being wrapped. Even when my 99 was still basically a new truck, the only difference I saw was the diameter of the filter. I still have my factory filter. I pulled it when it was still clean and went with a couple different washables. I'd pull the factory filter out and run it while the washable was drying. It's stored wrapped in a grocery bag, in a filter box.

If I ever restore my truck, I'm going to be showcasing that 1999 date code on the filter :biggrin:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've never heard of the HD air cleaners being wrapped. Even when my 99 was still basically a new truck, the only difference I saw was the diameter of the filter. I still have my factory filter. I pulled it when it was still clean and went with a couple different washables. I'd pull the factory filter out and run it while the washable was drying. It's stored wrapped in a grocery bag, in a filter box.

If I ever restore my truck, I'm going to be showcasing that 1999 date code on the filter :biggrin:
Interesting... I've never seen the wrapped filter for these trucks, till this thread. Crew cab has the K47 air cleaner/filter box, and both of the '99 Burbs we had, have the other style with the sheet metal clips instead of the wire ones. I've used the same cylindrical air filter cartridge in both trucks...fits tight so it should be sealing.