Vehicle shakes on freeway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No it shakes when I'm around 60-65 mph but sometimes it feels like hesitation when I put it on a load. Hard to explain. But when I'm city driving it's normal , but I can't rule out if it's an engine problem or suspension problem 100%. I can try and record it , can we post videos?
You can download/upload a video to places like you tube and then post the link here.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might , but usually when I have alignment issues it goes left or right , I've never had alignment issues where it shakes unless the tires need to be balanced
Just saying, you don’t know the history, you did front end work(who knows how long it was driven with bad end links), you have brand new tires…I’d probably get one.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Jack the truck up and put it on stands, place it in neutral, get yourself a can, bottle or a block of wood and place it as close to the center line of the tread that you can without touching and spin the tires one at a time. See if the tire is out of round. OR if you access to a tire balancing machine spin it up and watch to see if it is out of round

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Define shaking. It's too vague. Does the wheel move or vibrate in your hand. What do you feel on floor or your foot against the firewall? What do feel in your butt through the seat. Does the soaking start at a speed and increase with vehicle speed? At the shaking point what happens if you step on the brake with light to medium pressure?
If it was engine related to would increase decrease with rpm.
You can have a tire way out of balance with worn out shock absorbers, creating a high at speed vibration.
A at road speed , shaking or vibration ?
Shaking as in the " Dodge death wobble " or vibrating like a flat spot in shopping cart wheel?
Whatever it is we can't feel , see or hear it. Your best , most complete description will get the best answer.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it go "PING" when you have backed up and shift into drive? Ours does and does have a shake @ 90km/h GPS. I WAS thinking Chevy Shake, but now I`m thinking U-joint as it has gotten a little bit worse and also goes away if you completely get of the gas, could maybe also be a clapped out transfer case output bearing, or maybe most likely... all of the above...:biggrin:

Last edited:

rzr6-4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough, I don't know enough about the 400 4x4's I guess, my 08 RAM has a vibration that goes away with the front driveshaft out, figured these would be the same. Guess not! Lol

I have an 09 Ram 2500. Front driveshaft turns all the time, it just doesn't have any torque through it when in 2wd. So removing front drive shaft would help.

I would think these are the same but maybe not.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, get an alignment CHECK but unless the caster is way out, an alignment will not cause a shake/vibes. Worn parts and tire wear from a bad alignment or worn parts can cause a shake/vibes. You can also have a slipped/bad belt in a tire that will cause shakes/vibes and hopefully that is found during the alignment check.