Valvetrain Upgrade on '97 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to put a new cam and some other components in my 1997 5.7L.
LT4 hot cam, new valve springs/offset keepers/retainers, 1.6 self-aligning rockers, and 0411 pcm swap, etc.
If I'm replacing springs, do I also need to replace valve stem seals? Your answers will probably be if I'm already doing all this stuff, then why wouldn't I?!? I'm just asking...
How do I know or figure out what kind of valve seal installer to get? The seals I was thinking of getting are Fel-pro SS-72861.
Also, can you all recommend a good valve spring retainer tool? Probably not some cheap stuff from HF.
One more thing, I assume I should change out lifters too, but no idea on really what to look at. Any recommendations?

Looking to wake this thing up a little. 2wd w/ 3.73 gears

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm replacing springs, do I also need to replace valve stem seals? Your answers will probably be if I'm already doing all this stuff, then why wouldn't I?!? I'm just asking...
Change 'em.

...But...

With a 1.6 rocker arm ratio, the lift with a LT4 hot cam is .525". You'll never fit positive stop valve seals without cutting the spring seats. If you run LS2 beehive valvesprings with Comp Cams 787-16 retainers and the older umbrella-style valve seals you can run up to .530" lift without cutting the head, but you'll burn a little oil. That's what I'm running in WCJr with .507"/.515" lift.

I'm guessing you're upgrading without removing the heads? I like the cheap old lever-style spring tool. Get an adapter to run compressed air into the cylinder to hold the valves up. The downside is that if you run the 787-16 retainers, you'll have to tweak the tool narrower to depress the springs.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was planning on running some LS6 beehive springs (summit 174002) with +.030 offset keepers (VTO 4134), SS 72861 valve seals, and summit 174003-3 retainers.

Wouldn't that give me enough clearance? When you say I'd be burning a little oil, what do you mean?

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking to put a new cam and some other components in my 1997 5.7L.
LT4 hot cam, new valve springs/offset keepers/retainers, 1.6 self-aligning rockers, and 0411 pcm swap, etc.
How do I know or figure out what kind of valve seal installer to get? The seals I was thinking of getting are Fel-pro SS-72861.
Also, can you all recommend a good valve spring retainer tool? Probably not some cheap stuff from HF.
One more thing, I assume I should change out lifters too, but no idea on really what to look at. Any recommendations?

Looking to wake this thing up a little. 2wd w/ 3.73 gears
uhh .... right up front ... save yourself several hundred $bucks$ ... No downside.

Have ya priced an LT4 hot cam lately ? Today Nearly $565 !!!

For a little less than HALF that are summit's house brand rollers ... about $280
look at SUM-8801 OR SUM-8802
same 112 LSA, same 5150 billet steel, same made in USA, same lift (BUT WITHOUT any 1.6:1 RAR), same/similar duration, same step-nose snout.

** Before ya proceed with time & money, DO have a pro mag & visual check vortec heads for cracks.