Valve cover gaskets too short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_SLE_98

Reaction score
I have a set of fel pro valve cover gaskets sitting on my shelf waiting for me to use as I’m about to put the engine back together They fit the valve cover perfectly.

Maybe they were in the pool for too long :D:p:p:D

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine have been the opposite. I've had to be careful not to stretch them, but to evenly guide them into the groove so that I wouldn't have "extra" material and everything would line up correctly
Actually, I think that may have been the case with mine...or maybe a combo of both scenarios. I do remember having to push the lump down and around until it snugged/sat flush in the groove...
Come to think of it, the chrome valve covers I picked up from theebay that I used to cut up for my rocker adjustments may have been the ones that needed to be stretched . I figured I'd use my old gaskets in them just because. But I could never get them to seat right. Still wasn't an issue of being as short iirc..

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The SBC centerbolt valve cover gaskets like that always have to be stretched a good amount to fit. Felpro, Mahle, GM they are all the same in my experience. I had to glue the ones onto the covers on my van because they do not have the same retention are as the normal steel valve covers. The stock stamped steel valve covers do not fit heads that use the same casting as the AFR Enforcer including the AFRs.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got new valve covers in the mail. ( Amazon) . got some new gaskets from Napa. The gaskets are about 1/2 in to short . Should I stretch and glue the gasket to new valve cover or try to find cork gasket instead ?
You must be registered for see images attach
What the what?!!