Valve cover gaskets too short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get rid of those rubber POS gaskets. Used these cork Fel-pro #1648. Should not have to use glue tack, tape to stretch and hold or any other crap to keep a gasket in place.

Attachments

• 1995 c1500 Fel-pro-1648.jpg
    1995 c1500 Fel-pro-1648.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get rid of those rubber POS gaskets. Used these cork Fel-pro #1648. Should not have to use glue tack, tape to stretch and hold or any other crap to keep a gasket in place.
The only time I have used cork was on a perimiter bolt SBC, glued the cork gasket to the valve cover and rubbed grease on the cylinder head side. Then when you remove the valve covers the gaskets stay in place and easily lifts off without sticking to the head. That was a solid roller engine that needed semi frequent valve lash adjustments.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cork is GARBAGE as an engine gasket, the factory style rubber valve cover gaskets easily last 2-3 times as long without leaking and never need to have the valve covers retorqued due to shrinkage like cork will.
Odd, been running the fel-pro cork on mine for about 5 years now. Zero leaks and have never had to re-torque the cover bolts...and when I was running the rubber I had leaks..lol

I guess it's what works for you at the time ;)

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where's that gasket stretcher when you need it.
High Tack those suckers to the valve covers and carry on.
I fell in love when they came out with the one piece rubber oil pan gasket and haven't bought cork since. My 355 has the perimeter bolt valve covers and I put the Fel-Pro rubber gaskets on it, it don't leak nary a drop!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day the only way to get the corks to seal was to "gorilla-snot" them with interior adhesive. That crap would dry in place and you'd have to use a chisel to get the valve covers back off, but while they were on there they didn't leak.

The rubber gaskets are significantly better. If installed correctly they don't leak and are somewhat reusable.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day the only way to get the corks to seal was to "gorilla-snot" them with interior adhesive. That crap would dry in place and you'd have to use a chisel to get the valve covers back off, but while they were on there they didn't leak.

The rubber gaskets are significantly better. If installed correctly they don't leak and are somewhat reusable.
A trick I used to use to help those old cork gaskets seal was to go over the rails on the heads with a file and smooth the casting porosity. A magnet on the file will keep the shavings from falling into the engine. Then use a small riveting hammer to straighten the valve covers at the bolt hole areas. Now the with the center bolt VC's and the head rails being machined there is no need to do all that.