Valve cover gaskets too short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phin11

Reaction score
I just got new valve covers in the mail. ( Amazon) . got some new gaskets from Napa. The gaskets are about 1/2 in to short . Should I stretch and glue the gasket to new valve cover or try to find cork gasket instead ?
You must be registered for see images attach

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got new valve covers in the mail. ( Amazon) . got some new gaskets from Napa. The gaskets are about 1/2 in to short . Should I stretch and glue the gasket to new valve cover or try to find cork gasket instead ?
Thats messed up, never seen that before! Which is the correct size, the gasket or valve cover? I would not try stretching them.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't have small block Chevy experience, but from all the other valve cover gasket experience I've had, I don't think that's going to work. How do the valve covers match up to your originals? What brand are the gaskets? They don't look like Felpro blue on my monitor.

If the valve covers match, I'd try again with some Felpro gaskets.

It doesn't look like those valve covers have much of a channel to hold the gasket. Do the originals have a channel? Maybe cork would be better in this scenario, since they don't stretch like the rubber/silicone.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had to stretch my blue felpro gaskets, but I don't recall if it was that far? They stayed in place and I was able to bolt my covers right down.

Mine have been the opposite. I've had to be careful not to stretch them, but to evenly guide them into the groove so that I wouldn't have "extra" material and everything would line up correctly. I think my 454 and my Saturn were both like that. My 69 Buick has steel covers and I used cork gaskets, although rubber is available.