Urgent Motor Help Needed After Tuneup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good place to start!
Wow what a difference! Dont want to speak to soon but just drove it after doing gasket snd she felt amazing. The ground stud threads into the manifold were gunked with coolant. truck still got up to 141 BLM but sat in low 130s most of the time, before It was getting up to 170s, probably computer needs to reset a bit and it will be better. Truck drove great though.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow what a difference! Dont want to speak to soon but just drove it after doing gasket snd she felt amazing. The ground stud threads into the manifold were gunked with coolant. truck still got up to 141 BLM but sat in low 130s most of the time, before It was getting up to 170s, probably computer needs to reset a bit and it will be better. Truck drove great though.
Pull the negative battery cable off to reset the ECM. It will learn faster starting from scratch.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well seems like its running leaner again, got up to BLM of 156, next ill check for vacuum leaks

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now this is interesting, should I check for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold gasket using a propane torch or carb cleaner like any other leak? After I changed the thermostat gasket coolant got all iver intake so i poured water all over to clean coolant off, and I noticed the truck steamed ALOT as seen in picture, it looked like that for 5 minutes. Im wondering if the gasket is leaking and maybe water was getting into the cylinders. I kinda doubt it because I put a skim coat of rtv on both sides of the gasket and I used a good felpro gasket with correct torque specs. I dont know if steam was just from a ton of rain last night or if it is from a leak. It was hot today too for steam. Could I test for a leak eith water again snd see if steam comes out by pouring water around where the intake and heads meet?? Both sides of exhaust were steaming snd I highly doubt I screwed up both gasket sides, especially since all bolts lined up good and Im not losing coolant from the rad where it seals at intake.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do these numbers look, this is after just starting truck and letting itidle to temp, thats why IAC so high probably usually its around 19 hot, does map readings indicate a possible vacuum leak?
You must be registered for see images attach

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed this morning is when I get those knock counts it comes in like random bursts. Ill look down after a second and 4 more will appear, usually I get them when either cruising or slowing down for some reason

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get a burst in knock that goes away is means the ESC is doing its job. Have you ever played with the base timing?
Your TPS voltage is about right for idle but the TPS% seems a little high maybe someone with more tuning experience with these can weigh in on that. Yeah,you can use the propane or carb cleaner along the intake rails. I reckon you can use water to check for vacuum leaks but dribble it out slowly so your not spraying the ignition components. Let the truck warm up clear the condensation out of the exhaust then if you get steam you will know that it's from pulling water in.
Sounds like your still getting remnants of storm Debbie. They should make a movie "Debbie does the east coast"

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you get a burst in knock that goes away is means the ESC is doing its job. Have you ever played with the base timing?
Your TPS voltage is about right for idle but the TPS% seems a little high maybe someone with more tuning experience with these can weigh in on that. Yeah,you can use the propane or carb cleaner along the intake rails. I reckon you can use water to check for vacuum leaks but dribble it out slowly so your not spraying the ignition components. Let the truck warm up clear the condensation out of the exhaust then if you get steam you will know that it's from pulling water in.
Sounds like your still getting remnants of storm Debbie. They should make a movie "Debbie does the east coast"
The thing is the knock counts stay, ill get like 4 out of nowhere and then again in a few minutes, it never really did that before.

Yeah I have no odea with the TPS% maybe its calibrated in the app for a different style of tps or something.

Ill check today with carb cleaner with vacuum leaks, couldnt tell anything from propane, but i dont know how consistent the propane was xoming out either. I poured water along and noticed tiny tiny bubbles around the intske manifold gasket but I dont know if it was just the water starting to boil from the head of the heads

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,the water was probably boiling around the center where the exhaust crossover is,gets pretty hot right there.