upper ball joint help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but my upper ball joints are riveted in. If I grind them out can I replace the riveted style with bolt in or do I have to change whole arm?

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket ball joints have studs you bolt a nut onto. Depending on your truck, you may be able to find new control arms with the bj already installed. But yes you are correct, you grind down the mushroomed rivet heads, being careful not to grind the arm. Punch out, replace with new joints.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but my upper ball joints are riveted in. If I grind them out can I replace the riveted style with bolt in or do I have to change whole arm?

Grinding or drilling the factory rivets out is exactly what you need to do. You'll get nuts/bolts with the new ball joints. I find it's usually low grade hardware and replace it with SAE Grade 8, or metric 10.9 and then torque to spec, according to the bolt size and use Loctite. The factory manual lists a torque spec that's higher then the hardware can handle, so I use a chart that goes by size.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many still come riveted.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling it's the mevotech on there
How do the bushings look? If good, just drill out the rivets and replace ball joints, I’d us Mevotech TTX personally.
The original rivets from what I hear are insanely hard to drill out, I drilled out rivets on a new set in 10 minutes, but using new Cobalt drill bits/oil.