Torsion Bar Crossmember Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 99 K2500 Crew Cab, (180k on it) I have a squeaking/clunking sound at low speeds, which is exaggerated when there is a left hand turning load, but doesn’t ever totally go away.

I got under there and started checking things for play, and to my surprise, if I push up on the torsion bar crossmember like a bench press, I can move it up and down about 2mm. When moving, it makes a terrible metal on metal sound, so I’m thinking this is the problem.

I’m trying to figure out how this is possible though… because in my mind, the whole weight of the front end of the truck should be riding on the bars. The truck is well off the bump stops.

I have purchased new crossmember pillow bushings, and hope they will fix this, but had anyone else run into this problem? Is the play normal or do I have something else going on? What is the weight of the truck on if not the bars, and not the bump stops?