Timing chain set for 1997 C1500 5.7 Vortec - .280" or .400"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chubbychaser

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking to change out my timing chain and gears on my completely stock 1997 C1500 5.7 Vortec and 4l60e with 365,000 original miles. I've never replaced a chain before, so I'm a bit confused here. I see that there are two commonly available timing chain sets that seem to be compatible with my engine. One has .280" teeth on the gears while the other has .400" teeth. I'd prefer to stick with USA made parts and so far the only domestically manufactured one I can find is an Elgin .400" set.

How can I decide which size to use?

Also, is it true that the timing chain cover is one time use and must be replaced every time it is removed?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking to change out my timing chain and gears on my completely stock 1997 C1500 5.7 Vortec and 4l60e with 365,000 original miles. I've never replaced a chain before, so I'm a bit confused here. I see that there are two commonly available timing chain sets that seem to be compatible with my engine. One has .280" teeth on the gears while the other has .400" teeth. I'd prefer to stick with USA made parts and so far the only domestically manufactured one I can find is an Elgin .400" set.

Also, is it true that the timing chain cover is one time use and must be replaced every time it is removed?
The timing cover on the Vortecs is made of plastic, and on higher mileage engines they are usually warped. This probably why GM tells you to replace it after removal. The cover has a seal made into it, but if it's warped enough, the seal may not make good contact on all surfaces and this will cause oil leakage.
Now there's metal aftermarket covers; in 2007 when I did a timing job among other things on our first Vortec 5.7, all that was available was the GM OEM replacement part. $60 at the Chevy dealership parts department.... IIRC the engine didn't leak there after I was finished. Did leak other places....I think it really needed a rear main seal. Over 250K on it at the truck's end of service, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Both will work, get a Cloyes 9-1157.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the .280" set is the LT4 piece stay away from it. Sloppy as all get out! I second the notion for a Cloyes timing set. Make sure to get a single roller and not the stock link type garbage.