1999 L31 Engine with nearly 260k, Timing chain plus what else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking dose any know why gm thought it was a good idea to use a plastic timing cover

Evidently it’s a pretty good chain noise dampener, based on @Danimal08’s comments about the metal Holley cover (and I’m assuming a stamped steel cover would be similar, could be wrong about that).

At least in my case the same plastic cover has served well for 26 years and 265kmi, as it’s never been off the engine. Call me lucky.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 350 in WCJr was originally in my Suburban, and after the rebuild it would make a loud tick every few seconds. It made me nervous, so I pulled it back out and went through it again. I ended up putting a .025" hole in the oil gallery plug behind the timing chain. The tick is gone and the engine's been running great.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Road Trip, are you acquainted and reasonably proficient with KVL analysis?

File me under acquainted rather than reasonably proficient -- it's been a lot of years since I've
stopped and taken the time to analyze a circuit like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

And of course his 2nd Law:

You must be registered for see images attach

His Laws are part of my overall electrical belief system, and I have used the general principles to help me
make sense of unexpected circuit behavior while troubleshooting. But to be good enough to use KVL
to actually design a new circuit, I've have to dig out some dusty old textbooks and bust the rust off of some
ancient schooling I'm afraid.

Good question, though. It's been a long time since anyone's asked me about my take on Kirchoff, especially
in public. :0) And I remember when having a 4-channel scope was a bit of a status symbol...especially if you
had all 4 channels in use. Definite sign of a serious troubleshooting expedition going on.

Good stuff!