Thinking teardown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anchor

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking here for guidance. I have posted multiple times about 92 K1500 Regular cab shortbed that I purchased in November. I have been through a diagnosis jungle since then. I have a good friend who is remote from me who has helped me try to troubleshoot, (he is smarter than me) by the way. It is is newly rebuilt motor, almost no miles, done around 2019 and I think at least 2 people ahead of me in trying to get straight. 190 compression all cylinders. Holds steady 19 to 20 in. vacuum. Idles great. Had an exhaust valve stuck open when I got it and thought for sure I had it fixed. Have been through the learning curve on sensors, injection, fuel pump, etc. etc. etc. It is a pretty much rust free Oregon truck and I intend to make it my daily driver with lots of work and even paint at the end.
Engine starts, runs ok but in accelerating and cruising speed it feels like a plug wire or 2 are off and fuel mileage is pitiful. It has, I think, a Comp cams Hydraulic roller and comp cams roller tip rockers that are squarely on the valve stems. After all of this I am thinking about pulling engine and removing cam to get the part numbers and inspect lifters and cam itself as well as look over heads, valve springs, etc. The cam does not really lope at all but I want to see that number and mic it to see if a problem. I have a cheap dial indicator but with hydraulic lifters I think it may be real hard to get an accurate lift reading. I do have a lift and cherry picker in my shop so at least it won't be done in terrible conditions. This thing has kind of defeated me and I don't need it to get to work. I acquired an MT 2500 during this project and it has not revealed the problem. No codes either other than when I have unhooked sensors. It is hard for me to look at this thing objectively, hence my asking this board, "What would MacGuyver do? Any help appreciated. I rebuilt my first smallblock in 1970 but am by no means a mechanic and understand that. I am happy to look at opinions and a lot of you folks are much more knowledgeable than me. I will monitor the forum for suggestions for several days before charging ahead. Thank You.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1st thot is valves out of adjustment, meaning adjusted too tight. One or more are just barely hanging open, causing the rough running.
Possibly too thick of oil for the lifters, they can't bleed down properly?
Possibly you just need a tune?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do the plugs look like? Maybe get a wideband O2 sensor and log some data.

Anchor

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1st thot is valves out of adjustment, meaning adjusted too tight. One or more are just barely hanging open, causing the rough running.
Possibly too thick of oil for the lifters, they can't bleed down properly?
Possibly you just need a tune?
Thanks Cummins. Pretty carefully adjusted valves multiple times. I think I had them right on the mark. Oddly, I tried to adjust while running and when I put socket on adjusting nut the engine wants to die? Never experienced that before. So I adjusted 1/2 on tdc #1 and half after rotating. Your oil theory is interesting.. I think I used a 10-30 or 10-40 since I was thinking break in but now that you mentioned it maybe a roller needs 5-30 from get go. As far as tune, new distributor, cap, wires, rebuilt injectors etc. Going to look into your oil theory, thanks.

Anchor

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do the plugs look like? Maybe get a wideband O2 sensor and log some data.
Thank you. Oddly, the plugs look story book perfect. Will have to google wideband 02 sensor. snap on shows good numbers on all that it will read.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My guess is a sticky valve guide. I would pull it apart yes. Have a shop check the heads, I think that’s your issue.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking here for guidance. I have posted multiple times about 92 K1500 Regular cab shortbed that I purchased in November. I have been through a diagnosis jungle since then. I have a good friend who is remote from me who has helped me try to troubleshoot, (he is smarter than me) by the way. It is is newly rebuilt motor, almost no miles, done around 2019 and I think at least 2 people ahead of me in trying to get straight. 190 compression all cylinders. Holds steady 19 to 20 in. vacuum. Idles great. Had an exhaust valve stuck open when I got it and thought for sure I had it fixed. Have been through the learning curve on sensors, injection, fuel pump, etc. etc. etc. It is a pretty much rust free Oregon truck and I intend to make it my daily driver with lots of work and even paint at the end.

Greetings Anchor,

With 190 psi compression test #s and 19-20" of vacuum at idle/smooth idle, there's a *lot* that's right with
this motor. And I understand that if you can't ever get the desired results that pulling the motor in order
to figure out the root cause is occasionally the answer of last resort. And knowing that the TBI is sensitive
to cam changes (from stock) ...makes me very curious about the cam you have.

But at the same time you are getting 19-20" of vacuum from what's in there, so it must be a lot closer to stock
than the 'low-vacuum at idle Mother Thumper' cams that can tie the TBI system into knots?

But before we pull the motor, let's first prove that there is nothing we can do to make this run better. Since
you are driving a '92, I'm assuming that you are still running the TBI setup. This is a good thing, for you
can change the Initial timing (the foundation that all the computer tables run from) simply with a twist of
the distributor housing.

I would ask you to check the current base timing at a hot idle (by following the procedure in the FSM)
and write it down. And in order to find out what the engine wants, let's add a couple of degrees of
advance to the Initial timing and see if that makes a difference. (ie: IF the original base timing setting
was at 0°, set it to 2° BTDC. {Before Top Dead Center})

And if this seems to make an improvement, then add another 2° on top of that. And for whatever
compression / cam specs / cam to crank timing combo you have, you may end up adding a total of
5/6/7/8+ degrees before you hit the diminishing returns -or- you start hearing light pinging at
certain throttle angles or rpm bands. (Or the computer starts to pile up excessive KS counts.)

At that point, you then back off the timing 'til the noise just stops, and that is the best timing
you can get for whatever octane fuel is in the tank.

Of course, just how much you can advance your Initial (base) timing is based on several
variables including compression ratio, short vs long duration cam, whether you live in temperate
Oregon vs 110° Phoenix, and of course the octane of the fuel you are feeding it.

But to pull the engine before trying to figure out what it wants more of/less of would be
counterproductive, because we need to probe/understand the limits of the 'goodness' that
this engine will deliver before we decide to pull it out.

NOTE: If you are getting 190 psi of compression at cranking speeds, then you should
only be able to add 4-5° of Initial Timing before the engine starts to protest at certain
speeds/loads on 87-octane gas. But light pinging is not going to hurt anything, and in
the tuning process it can be trusted even more than timing marks that have slipped a
bit, or the cam/crank phasing is 'dot to dot' but for whatever reason is still not ideal.
Engine starts, runs ok but in accelerating and cruising speed it feels like a plug wire or 2 are off and fuel mileage is pitiful.

As for the roughness at highway cruise, that could be an EGR not metering properly,
tired O2 sensors, or the two injectors are not metering the same. Or something
as simple as counterfeit/sub-OEM quality plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, coil,
or even ICM.

How is it possible to have really good looking plugs yet still have an ignition-related
driveability issue? The answer lies in how many KiloVolts does the spark voltage have
to rise to in order for the failure to occur? Let's say that a healthy HEI system on a
TBI truck can generate up to 35 KV reliably. Let's go one step further and say that
the fresh engine with fresh plugs in it only needs anywhere from 5-25KV in order to
cover ALL
aspects of your daily driving. Guess what? With that 10 KV of ignition system
headroom, the driver
*never* experiences anything but smooth power no matter what the
driving occasion calls for.

On the other side of this continuum, imagine an older twin of the above motor. Due to the
condition of the cap (or coil, or wires, or even ICM) the max KV this ignition system can
develop is only 25 KV before the spark finds an easier path than the plug gap to ground.

Meanwhile, because of the forgotten/excessively worn plugs installed, when all the variables
line up exactly wrong the plugs need 30+ KV in order to jump the gap and fire the
A/F mixture. But at idle it only needs 6-7KV in order
to deliver the smoothness?

*This* is when you can have intermittent driveability issues despite having a mechanically
healthy motor.

Thinking outside of the (pure stock) box, we may have a situation where either the Knock Sensor
is too sensitive (they tend to do this if overtightened during installation or sometimes due to sheer
age) ...or the aftermarket valvetrain makes more than stock amounts of chatter which gets picked
up by the Knock Sensor (which is basically just a piezo microphone) and your computer interprets
this unexpected sound as a need to back off the timing?

Don't know if the MT2500 will show you knock counts, but if it does then that would be interesting
to find out. Also if we can find out what your total timing is, then if an issue in the knock sensor
feedback loop is causing the computer to pull out handfuls of timing then this might help to explain
what you are experiencing during cruise?

These are all just informed guesses, but this is what comes to mind while reading your observations.
I for one didn't realize until after the fact just how much a bad actor Knock Sensor could cripple the
behavior of an otherwise good motor by overreacting to normal engine sounds and pulling large
amounts of timing out of the mix in response. (I had a similar issue in a DD that had me close
to pulling the engine before the bad sensor finally crossed the magic threshold and kicked a CEL
indicting the bad KS.)

Could it be too-tight valve guides? Absolutely, but normally they have a very specific failure footprint.
(Misfires only occur during sustained heavy demands, but clear up once back to steady, light cruise.)

Somewhere in all of the above lies the answer to your question. But before you pull the motor in
order to check to see if the cam is the root cause, let's try all the simpler stuff first and eliminate
all that as possible causes. Because you want to be sure that if you pull the engine that when it
goes back in it's 100% that it will meet your expectations.

Check out the above, experiment with the initial timing settings a bit, and report back with
your findings.

Best of luck --

Last edited:

Anchor

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings Anchor,

With 190 psi compression test #s, 19-20" of vacuum at idle/smooth idle, there's a *lot* that's right with
this motor. And I understand that if you can't ever get the desired results that pulling the motor in order
to figure out the root cause is occasionally the answer of last resort. And knowing that the TBI is sensitive
to cam changes (from stock) ...makes me very curious about the cam you have.

But at the same time you are getting 19-20" of vacuum from what's in there, so it must be a lot closer to stock
than the low-vacuum at idle Mother Thumper cams that can tie the TBI system into knots?

But before we pull the motor, let's first prove that there is nothing we can do to make this run better. Since
you are driving a '92, I'm assuming that you are still running the TBI setup. This is a good thing, for you
can change the Initial timing (the foundation that all the computer tables run from) simply with a twist of
the distributor housing.

I would ask you to check the current base timing at a hot idle (by following the procedure in the FSM)
and write it down. And in order to find out what the engine wants, let's add a couple of degrees of
advance to the Initial timing and see if that makes a difference. (ie: IF the original base timing setting
was at 0°, set it to 2° BTDC. {Before Top Dead Center})

And if this seems to make an improvement, then add another 2° on top of that. And for whatever
compression / cam specs / cam to crank timing combo you have, you may end up adding a total of
5/6/7/8+ degrees before you hit the diminishing returns -or- you start hearing light pinging at
certain throttle angles or rpm bands. (Or the computer starts to pile up excessive KS counts.)

At that point, you then back off the timing 'til the noise just stops, and that is the best timing
you can get for whatever octane fuel is in the tank.

Of course, just how much you can advance your Initial (base) timing is based on several
variables including compression ratio, short vs long duration cam, whether you live in temperate
Oregon vs 110° Phoenix, and of course the octane of the fuel you are feeding it.

But to pull the engine before trying to figure out what it wants more of/less of would be
counterproductive, because we need to probe/understand the limits of the 'goodness' that
this engine will deliver before we decide to pull it out.

NOTE: If you are getting 190 psi of compression at cranking speeds, then you should
only be able to add 4-5° of Initial Timing before the engine starts to protest at certain
speeds/loads on 87-octane gas. But light pinging is not going to hurt anything, and in
the tuning process it can be trusted even more than timing marks that have slipped a
bit, or the cam/crank phasing is 'dot to dot' but for whatever reason is still not ideal.

As for the roughness at highway cruise, that could be an EGR not metering properly,
tired O2 sensors, or the two injectors are not metering the same. Or something
as simple as counterfeit/sub-OEM quality plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, coil,
or even ICM.

How is it possible to have really good looking plugs yet still have an ignition-related
driveability issue? The answer lies in how many KiloVolts does the spark voltage have
to rise to in order for the failure to occur? Let's say that a healthy HEI system on a
TBI truck can generate up to 35 KV reliably. Let's go one step further and say that
the fresh engine with fresh plugs in it only needs anywhere from 5-25KV in order to
cover ALL
aspects of your daily driving. Guess what? With that 10 KV of ignition system
headroom, the driver
*never* experiences anything but smooth power no matter what the
driving occasion calls for.

On the other side of this continuum, imagine an older twin of the above motor. Due to the
condition of the cap (or coil, or wires, or even ICM) the max KV this ignition system can
develop is only 25 KV before the spark finds an easier path than the plug gap to ground.

Meanwhile, because of the forgotten/excessively worn plugs installed, when all the variables
line up exactly wrong the plugs need 30+ KV in order to jump the gap and fire the
A/F mixture. But at idle it only needs 6-7KV in order
to deliver the smoothness?

*This* is when you can have intermittent driveability issues despite having a mechanically
healthy motor.

Thinking outside of the (pure stock) box, we may have a situation where either the Knock Sensor
is too sensitive (they tend to do this if overtightened during installation or sometimes due to sheer
age) ...or the aftermarket valvetrain makes more than stock amounts of chatter which gets picked
up by the Knock Sensor (which is basically just a piezo microphone) and your computer interprets
this unexpected sound as a need to back off the timing?

Don't know if the MT2500 will show you knock counts, but if it does then that would be interesting
to find out. Also if we can find out what your total timing is, then if an issue in the knock sensor
feedback loop is causing the computer to pull out handfuls of timing then this might help to explain
what you are experiencing during cruise?

These are all just informed guesses, but this is what comes to mind while reading your observations.
I for one didn't realize until after the fact just how much a bad actor Knock Sensor could cripple the
behavior of an otherwise good motor by overreacting to normal engine sounds and pulling large
amounts of timing out of the mix in response. (I had a similar issue in a DD that had me close
to pulling the engine before the bad sensor finally crossed the magic threshold and kicked a CEL
indicting the bad KS.)

Could it be too-tight valve guides? Absolutely, but normally they have a very specific failure footprint.
(Misfires only occur during sustained heavy demands, but clear up once back to steady, light cruise.)

Somewhere in all of the above lies the answer to your question. But before you pull the motor in
order to check to see if the cam is the root cause, let's try all the simpler stuff first and eliminate
all that as possible causes. Because you want to be sure that if you pull the engine that when it
goes back in it's 100% that it will meet your expectations.

Check out the above, experiment with the initial timing settings a bit, and report back with
your findings.

Best of luck --
Hi Roadtrip; You have helped me in the past when I was looking at ecm as possible culprit and your wiring diagrams and detailed information were extremely helpful. I have timed this engine so many times I fear I may have to buy a new bulb for timing light. I set it at 0 and mark has been steady as can be with the ecm wire disconnected. Then when I re-connect the wire my mark jumps up to a ways before the timing indicator, maybe 12 or 14 btdc and it constantly jumps around a few degrees, maybe up to 5. I assumed this was ecm doing it's job but that may not be the case. When I first was troubleshooting the truck I had 0 compression in #8. When I pulled valve cover, I believe the exhaust valve was open and the spring compressed. I couldn't imagine the valve spring not expanding and closing the valve. It also got me thinking that it had damaged that hydraulic roller lifter. But i loosened up, checked the pushrod and re-set valves. All seemed to be ok after. I even wondered if po had missed the lifter when he stabbed the pushrod but that didn't seem possible due to the small pushrod hole in head. Was the only other possible cause the valve terribly tight in the guide and it freed up when I loosened it and reset lash? (Don't know if lash is proper term with hyd. lifters). I have struggled with this so long I think the people who are aware of it have written me off as a window licker. I ordered and installed a new knock sensor and after reading of overtightening problems I actually torqued it in I believe at 15 lbs. By the way the snapon shows no knocks but I can get them by tapping on the engine. Valves have been quiet and no popping. Interesting note, to me at least. I was messing around the other day and tried to adjust #1 rockers while running. When I put a deep well socket on the lifter adjusting nut the engine wanted to die. I had not turned it yet, just set the socket in place. Tried to place it on another lifter and same thing. Have done this a million times with flat tappet cams and no problem, just go ahead and adjust. Is this something to do with roller lifters? That stuck #1 lifter has troubled me since I found it. I can't see how valve spring would not have overcome it. I will re-install plugs and mess with timing as you suggested. I'd much rather not have to tear down but I have months in this off and on and sure need to find it. I truly appreciate those of you chiming in as I have reached the point of trying the same ideas over and over and hoping for different results. Will reassemble stuff and do some timing adjusting tomorrow. Thank You.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the truck I had 0 compression in #8. When I pulled valve cover, I believe the exhaust valve was open and the spring compressed. I couldn't imagine the valve spring not expanding and closing the valve.
Yup, valves can get stuck, and the spring won't pop 'em free.

This does the valve and the guide no good whatsoever; and if the piston hits the open valve, there's trouble in paradise.

It also got me thinking that it had damaged that hydraulic roller lifter. But i loosened up, checked the pushrod and re-set valves. All seemed to be ok after.
Lucky.

Was the only other possible cause the valve terribly tight in the guide and it freed up when I loosened it and reset lash? (Don't know if lash is proper term with hyd. lifters).
"Lash" refers to a specific clearance in the valvetrain. Hydraulic lifters generally run with preload, so the word "lash" wouldn't apply.

You re-set "lifter preload".

When I put a deep well socket on the lifter adjusting nut the engine wanted to die. I had not turned it yet, just set the socket in place. Tried to place it on another lifter and same thing. Have done this a million times with flat tappet cams and no problem, just go ahead and adjust. Is this something to do with roller lifters? That stuck #1 lifter has troubled me since I found it. I can't see how valve spring would not have overcome it.
Sounds like the rocker adjustment is so tight that it's on the verge of holding the valves open. Any additional disturbance on the rocker/valve results in the valve not sealing.

You may have adjusted the valves multiple times, but if the lifter preload is too tight, it's too tight. One wonders what would happen if the rockers were backed-off half a turn. Or backed-off until each one clattered, and then re-tightened an appropriate amount.

Last edited: