Thermal Insulation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My head liner is starting to fall down, which means it needs to come out... If my headliner is coming out, then I should sound deaden my roof... and while I'm in there, I might as well get some thermal insulation in there too. It's a dark colored truck, the a/c is weaksauce, and I live in lovely, sunny California.

I've been seeing self-stick closed cell foam sold by sound deadening brands (like Noico Red) and I've also heard of people using Reflectix (foil bubble wrap). I was under the impression that Reflectix needed an air pocket behind it to work properly, but also I have read on forums that people say it works in cars anyway. I'm more looking to keep the sun's heat out than I am keeping myself warm duing the winter.

Anybody here insulate specifically for thermals? What did you use and how did it work?

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Also, do some research on ceramic window film. Tinted or clear, the thermal effects are impressive. It's more expensive than regular tint, but worth it from everything I've read. I plan on 35% tint (legal limit for Kentucky) ceramic film on the sides and rear window, with clear ceramic film on the entire front windshield. Should help our ac seem like awesomesauce!

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, do some research on ceramic window film. Tinted or clear, the thermal effects are impressive. It's more expensive than regular tint, but worth it from everything I've read. I plan on 35% tint (legal limit for Kentucky) ceramic film on the sides and rear window, with clear ceramic film on the entire front windshield. Should help our ac seem like awesomesauce!

Can it go on the factory tinted windows? Or just on the clear glass?

A friend of mine had something similar on his Subaru years ago. I don't remember what it was called but it didn't really affect the "darkness" of the windows, like they didn't look tinted, but he said something about it being more reflective so your interior wouldn't get as hot or sun damaged.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roof and first attempt to redo headliner. This made a noticeable improvement in heat radiating from the roof, and did provide a noticeable difference in sound on the highway. This was the first sound treatment I completed.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/sound-deadening-rcsb.48816/#post-1091101

I created a thread when I deadened and insulated my truck. Noticeable difference in radiant heat from roof after I did it. I listed all the products I used.

BTW I am also in CA in a black truck. This + tint helped a lot.

Last edited: