White smoke and dies on acceleration. Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettinator

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been fixing up a 1988 Chevy c1500, 5.0L V8 sbc. The truck sat for many years on a farm, but is in relatively good shape.
I've replaced a whole mess of things including: alternator, battery, starter motor, radiator, plugs and wires, distributor cap, exhaust from headers to tailpipe, fuel filter, fuel pump, brakes, drum to disc conversion, brake master cylinder, and other non-mechanical things. New oil, trans fluid, coolant, etc. I once changed the throttle body to a holley but switched back. All else relevant is original as far as I know. Previous owner was family.

My problem is: I have a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and maybe some condensation. When I drive, the truck is fine accelerating slowly, but when I push the accelerator past maybe 1/3, the truck immediately dies. I can slowly accelerate up to about 40 just fine. At any speed, if I push past say 1/3 ish, it dies out. I let off and it is fine again.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You mentioned throttle body, so I'm assuming we're talking about a stock truck with T.B.I. You'll want to get a scan tool so you can look at the data stream. You're also going to want to check fuel pressure as well as whatever test there is to determine if you've got a blown head gasket(s). White smoke is indicative of water in the combustion chambers. Verifying base timing as well as the condition of ignition components like plugs, wires cap & rotor would be a good idea too.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, or a bad CTS or ground at the T-Stat telling the ECM it's -40°
-40, I don't know how that was determined to be the set low on everything. That is the low temp testing on everything and the low calibration on everything. Looking at the reading of OC or wondering it something will survive the winter is always a pain.

brettinator

Reaction score
You mentioned throttle body, so I'm assuming we're talking about a stock truck with T.B.I. You'll want to get a scan tool so you can look at the data stream. You're also going to want to check fuel pressure as well as whatever test there is to determine if you've got a blown head gasket(s). White smoke is indicative of water in the combustion chambers. Verifying base timing as well as the condition of ignition components like plugs, wires cap & rotor would be a good idea too.
Yep TBI! New plugs, caps and wires but I will take your advice on pressure and data.

Yep, or a bad CTS or ground at the T-Stat telling the ECM it's -40°

Will check the thermostat and such. Is the thought here that if it is reading cold it will run rich?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-40, I don't know how that was determined to be the set low on everything. That is the low temp testing on everything and the low calibration on everything.
That's the range of the sensor. To calibrate, put in ice water and then boiling water. it should read 32° and 212° respectively (0° and 100° for you foreigners, ha ha).

"At 32°F, the resistance value for a typical GM coolant temp sensor is around 9,600 Ω. At 212°F, the resistance value drops to around 185 Ω." Open circuit is ~-40°