The obd in the middle.1995 scanner options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have never been able to hook up a scanner to my 1995 silverado..due to the plug..I was able to work around it when truck was newer but now I have issues that make me need to use...first question.is there much use in the data to pursue a hookup? I know it's not as many things you can check...I would like to verify o2 operation and readings.second question.I bought a inova 5610 to use with my more modern vehicles..I s there a way to adapt the 95 obd port to this scanner? Thanks in advance for any help!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I s there a way to adapt the 95 obd port to this scanner? Thanks in advance for any help!
95 trucks still have the 12 pin ALDL connector and run on OBDI, OBDI 12 pin to OBDII 16 pin adapters are junk. You need an OBDI capable scanner.

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know about your scanner but a good scanner would allow you to swap between obd1 and obd2 connectors, meaning it's not just dedicated to one or the other. And yes scan data is important and allows you to see what computer is seeing and if data is correct or skewed which could help if sensor or component is causing a problem

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have never been able to hook up a scanner to my 1995 silverado..due to the plug.
There is NO problem connecting to an OBD1 vehicle if you have the appropriate scan tool or scan tool simulator, suitable software and connector cables.

is there much use in the data to pursue a hookup?
ABSOLUTELY.

I know it's not as many things you can check.
A listing of what is available on an '88 K1500 is at this web-page. You're looking for Post 14 and 15, but read the entire thread...it's kind of a giggle. Unfortunately, the photos seem to have gone missing, and the photos were the best part of those posts. [Edit] Got into those two posts, fixed the pictures. They should show up now. [/Edit]
www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

I should re-post all that on this web site with photos and all, maybe even update it with photos of the Solus Pro I'm using now. But not today, and maybe not this week. I gotta get some other stuff accomplished.

..I would like to verify o2 operation and readings.
Any decent scan tool will show EVERY sensor reading, and all the computer outputs. Graphing the sensor voltages is a BIG plus, and most scan tools should do that--older ones may not. Bi-directional control--using the scan tool to change the operation of the computer is another big plus. For example, I could command the computer to switch the AIR diverter valve from exhaust manifold to air cleaner proving that the diverter valve and all the associated wiring still worked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is NO problem connecting to an OBD1 vehicle if you have the appropriate scan tool or scan tool simulator, suitable software and connector cables.

ABSOLUTELY.

A listing of what is available on an '88 K1500 is at this web-page. You're looking for Post 14 and 15, but read the entire thread...it's kind of a giggle. Unfortunately, the photos seem to have gone missing, and the photos were the best part of those posts. [Edit] Got into those two posts, fixed the pictures. They should show up now. [/Edit]
www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

I should re-post all that on this web site with photos and all, maybe even update it with photos of the Solus Pro I'm using now. But not today, and maybe not this week. I gotta get some other stuff accomplished.

Any decent scan tool will show EVERY sensor reading, and all the computer outputs. Graphing the sensor voltages is a BIG plus, and most scan tools should do that--older ones may not. Bi-directional control--using the scan tool to change the operation of the computer is another big plus. For example, I could command the computer to switch the AIR diverter valve from exhaust manifold to air cleaner proving that the diverter valve and all the associated wiring still worked.
Scurkey can I dm you about a problem I'm having with my TBI truck?

Reaction score
So I did look over that older thread but don't see any specific adaptors..for .my inova 5610..I have read that simply buying the 12 pin adaptor cable and plugging that into the inova 5610 will not work...don't know if that is true..or what parts I would need to adapt...thanks for all the responses!